News and Updates
As your County Treasurer, I have been making every effort to assist Jeffco property owners in paying their property taxes in Jefferson County based on the unprecedented COVID virus affecting taxpayers physically, mentally, AND financially. Many citizens have lost their jobs, their businesses or have been furloughed causing a financial strain on personal budgets.
Since March/2020 through August 31, 2020, my department has been accepting multiple payments and waiving late payment interest in an effort to support taxpayers in paying their property taxes. Thanks to HB 20-1421, we have extended waiving late interest and accepting multiple payments through September 15, 2020.
- Mailing a check or money order by U.S. mail or overnight service to (please write your Property ID Number a.k.a. PIN on the check):
Jefferson County Treasurer
100 Jefferson County Pkwy, Ste 2520
Golden CO 80419-2520
- Online payments can be made via the Treasurer Property Records Search Application. If paying from a bank account no additional fees will apply, if paying with a debit or credit card vendor or credit card fees will be applicable.
- Calling the Treasurer’s toll-free automated payment system at 866-898-2919. If paying from a bank account no additional fees will apply, if paying with a debit or credit card vendor or credit card fees will be applicable.
- If you live outside the US, Official Payments is another online option available to pay via credit or debit card (a vendor or credit card fee will apply). See Instructions for using Official Payments website.
- Dropping off payments at the drive-thru Tax Payment drop-box or the drop-box located in the atrium of the Jeffco Courts and Administration Building – please do not drop off cash at these locations.
- Making payments by wire transfer or ACH – please contact our office to obtain Electronic Transfer Instructions by calling (303) 271-8330, or email us [email protected]
- In person by personal check, cashiers check or money order. No credit card or debit card payments can be accepted at the counter, at this time, due to waiver of interest option. Please use the by phone or online payment option mentioned above.
Please call our main number 303-271-8330 if you would like to make an appointment to pay in cash.
Starting July 1, the Treasurer is Also the Public Trustee
Pursuant to HB 19-1295, commencing July 1, 2020, the county treasurer for each Class 2 county (Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Douglas, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer, Mesa, Pueblo and Weld) will serve as the public trustee for the county.
About the Treasurer’s Office
The Jefferson County Treasurer collects property taxes, invest funds, disburses money to cities and districts and acts as county banker.
The County Treasurer does NOT:
- Raise or Lower Taxes
- Limit Government
- Protect Property Rights
Taxes are Impacted by the Voters and County Commissioners
Due Dates: Property taxes become due on January 1 for the previous year. Payments are due either in two equal installments or in one full installment.
- FIRST HALF: MARCH 2, 2020
- SECOND HALF: JUNE 15, 2020
- FULL PAYMENT: APRIL 30, 2020
Mailing Address Changes: It is important to keep your mailing address current. It is the property owner’s responsibility to update mailing addresses in writing to ensure delivery of the annual property tax and value notifications.
Unpaid Property Taxes: Every October the Treasurer’s office has an online auction for unpaid property taxes. We do not sell the property. The taxes are purchased by investors. The investor that holds the lien will be notified every August of any unpaid taxes and can endorse those taxes to the existing lien. Owners have three years from said tax sale to payoff the lien before it becomes eligible for a Treasurer’s Deed.
Paying off Tax Liens: Please contact our office to request a payoff amount for a Tax Lien: 303-271-8330 or email us [email protected] We will only accept cash or certified funds (e.g. Cashier’s Check or money order) payable to Jefferson County Treasurer for payment of a tax lien. Payments need to be received in our office by 5:00 pm the last business day of the month, postmarks are not accepted for tax liens.
The Jefferson County Treasurer posts a series of reports. You can find the following on our Financial Reports page:
- Quarterly Investment Portfolio Report
- General Fund Monthly Report
- Treasurer’s Budget Report
- Tax Authority Distribution Monthly and Annual Reports
- Miscellaneous Reports
The Jefferson County Treasurer has created this Treasurer's Notes section as a place you can find miscellaneous information on important topics from the Treasurer. You can find that on the Treasurer's Notes page.