Under limited supervision, a Volunteer Victim Advocate will perform specialized counseling work as a call-out advocate assisting, advising, and/or providing crisis intervention and comfort to victims and witnesses of crimes reported to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office. Advocates may refer victims and witnesses to supportive agency programs, will serve as liaison between the victim and/or witness with law enforcement agencies, and provide follow-up assistance to address victims' needs. Work also involves notifying crime victims of their rights under state laws and assisting victims with applications for Crime Victim Compensation.
Volunteer Victim Advocates contact crime victims and witnesses whose circumstances comply with state and federal law and guidelines for victims' advocacy services, notifies them of their rights under state law, and explains how Victim Services can assist. They may make oral presentations before business, civic, school, and/or other groups on topics pertaining to the rights of victims and the criminal justice system.
Advocates often deal with stressful situations; call-outs might require volunteers to drive at night, experience a lack of sleep during their shift, stand for long periods of time, climb stairs and carry supplies to a scene. Advocates may also be exposed to second-hand smoke and extreme natural outside elements during the length of a call-out such as snow, rain, ice, heat, and wind.
Applicants must be 21 years of age or older and possess a valid driver's license. Must have a high school diploma or a GED.
Applicants must have an open, nonjudgmental attitude toward victims of crime and trauma. Genuine concerns and empathy for victims of crime and trauma are necessary qualities.
Applicants must be willing and able to remain calm during high-stress situations and must possess excellent communications skills and have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
Applicants must have their own transportation and insurance.
Applicants must pass an oral interview, background investigation, and psychological examination.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILLED OUT ONLINE.
VOLUNTEER VICTIM ADVOCATE 2021
PLEASE COMPLETE THESE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND THE APPLICATION and WAIVER. CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION/WAIVER.
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
200 Jefferson County Parkway
(Sheriff – 202-271-5332)
Golden, CO 80419
An Equal Opportunity Employer
1. AFFIDAVIT -- APPLICANT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS APPLICATION. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY AND THAT YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE YOU SUBMIT IT. THIS SECTION AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK AN ASSIGNED RECRUITER OF TH E JEFFERSON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE (HEREIN REFERRED TO AS "OUR OFFICE"} BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THIS APPLICATION. It is the policy of Jefferson County and the JEFFERSON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE to not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin or disability unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification. By clicking on the 'Accept' button, you promise that all information you have supplied in this application and any other form, oral or written, is complete, true and accurate. Any misstated, misleading, incomplete, or false information is grounds for rejection of this application form, refusal to hire, withdrawal of an offer of employment, or immediate discharge without recourse, whenever and however discovered. Your promise is made with the understanding that your statements will be relied upon in the hiring process. An incomplete application will delay the hiring process. If you disagree with the statements, policies, and procedures below, you should not fill out an employment application form and should not seek employment with the JEFFERSON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE.
2. (Part 2 of 3) In the event of my appointment to a volunteer position with the JEFFERSON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE, I will comply with all rules and regulations of the office. I further understand that the office may obtain, or cause to be obtained, public records, including court records, criminal history, polygraph examination reports, Department of Motor Vehicles records, credit reports, and educational records about me as part of a background investigation and that in certain circumstances I may waive my right to receive a copy of such public records. To the extent that a background investigation is to be conducted by a third party, I understand that the applicable documentation and certification required by the Federal Credit Reporting Act and the State will be provided to me. I understand that the entire process may include post conditional testing such as psychological examination and may take up to six months to complete. After the completion of a hiring process, any applicant who is not hired is encouraged to apply for any other position within the Sheriff’s Office.
3. (Part 3 of 3) I further understand that the office may contact my previous employers. I authorize those employers to disclose to the office all records and information pertinent to my employment with them. In addition to authorizing the release of any information regarding my employment, I hereby waive any rights or claims I have or may have against my former employers, their agents, employees, and representatives, educational institutions, as well as other individuals who release information to the office, and release them from any and all liability, claims, or damages that may directly or indirectly result from the use, disclosure, or release or any such information by any person or party, whether such information is favorable or unfavorable to me. I authorize the persons named herein as reference to provide the office with any pertinent information they may have regarding myself. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS APPLICANT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS APPLICATION, PLEASE ASK AN ASSIGNED RECRUITER BEFORE ACCEPTING AND SUBMITTING THIS APPLICATION. DO NOT SUBMIT THE APPLICATION UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE ABOVE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND UNDERSTAND THEM. I hereby acknowledge that I have read the above terms and conditions and understand the same. I further acknowledge by clicking on the ‘Accept’ button below that no promise or offer of employment has been made to me at this time.
To be considered fluent, you must be able to speak the second language AND either be able to read OR write the second language proficiently. Any foreign language to include American Sign Language applies. Only select one response.
(Examples: coaching youth sports, volunteering at local churches, shelters, food banks, or children's schools, etc. Only select one response.)
• Marijuana • Hashish, Hashish Oil
• Cocaine • Crack, Rock, Ice • Barbiturates or Downers • Amphetamines or Uppers • Methamphetamines (speed, crack) • LSD or other Hallucinogens • PCP (Angel Dust, Mushrooms) • Heroin or other Opiates • Ecstasy • Illegal Steroids • Other illegal drugs not mentioned
(Examples: Miscellaneous office supplies, uniforms, equipment, tools, food or beverages, etc.)
Please include the question number you are referencing, the approximate date of occurrence, and as much specific details as possible. "Will discuss in person" is not an acceptable answer.
The Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986 requires both identity and eligibility for employment proof within three business days of employment. The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office does NOT hire or sponsor H-1B Visa holders.
If yes, please provide their name and contact information.
If yes, please provide positions, dates, results, etc.
(lay-offs, reductions in force, or company downsizing do not apply.)
Please begin with your current residence and ensure you include the city, zip code. (For each address, please note the local Law Enforcement Agency.)
Please include the address, city, zip code. For each address, please note the local Law Enforcement Agency and the dates/years you lived at the residence.
This would include head, neck, hands or arms.
Be sure to answer both parts of the question.
You will need to complete the following:
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field