This form is to be completed by anyone wishing to install fixed hardware for the purpose of rock climbing or slack-lining on any Jeffco Open Space managed land.
(ex. 5 lead and 2 anchor)
Sport, Trad, Ice, Mixed, etc.
if you have been previously approved by JCOS, you may answer N/A
Applications will be reviewed and processed as efficiently as possible a minimum of three times per year. Deadlines of applications for review next review process are: January 15th, May 1st, and August 1st.
The FHRC and JCOS will make every effort to notify applicants of the status of their application shortly after the review period; however, there may be cases where extenuating circumstances call for further research on the area and thus a delayed decision. In these cases, the applicant will be updated on progress.
All applications must have a visual reference for your proposed route. Please attach a photo of the face with anticipated line and bolt placement, as well as any existing routes for reference.
1) For rock climbing: all bolts, hangers, and chains shall be assembled from like metals, of stainless steel or titanium (except when added to pre-existing, non-stainless installations; in such instances, like metals shall be used). All bolts shall be minimum 3/8” in diameter. All bolts and hangers shall be strength-rated by the manufacturer to withstand 25kN ultimate shear load and 20kN ultimate tension load. All new hardware must be installed and torqued to manufacturer specifications.
2) For slack lining: all bolts, hangers, and chains shall be stainless steel; shall be from a reputable manufacturer; and shall be at least comparable in strength to those of other bolts, hangers, and chains in use by responsible slack liners. All bolts shall be minimum 1/2” in diameter and 4½” long.
3) Individuals who are qualified to do so may replace substandard fixed hardware when a safety concern is identified. All replacement hardware must meet the criteria listed above, and JCOS must be notified by email at [email protected] within 3 days of the replacement.
4) Permanent non-metal draws (perma-draws) for protection on a route are prohibited.
1) Use fixed anchors or traditional climbing gear (cams, nuts, etc.), when possible. Avoid using trees or other vegetation as anchors or for tyrolean traverses as this is destructive to cliff ecology and natural resources.
2) Cliff habitat is a delicate ecosystem requiring thousands of years to develop. Leave flora and fauna (e.g. moss, lichen, leaves, and other natural materials) as undisturbed as possible while maintaining a safe route, as this is a critical ecosystem resource.
3) Do not deface, damage, or alter natural rock (e.g. chiseling, chipping, etc) in any way, except to install permitted fixed hardware.
4) No amplified music allowed (ex. phones, radios, mp3 players, speakers, etc.). Amplified music can be a distraction to others, inhibits communication between climbers and belayers, and disturbs wildlife.
5) Consider leaving pets at home. Dogs must be on a physical leash at all times and cannot be left unattended. Dogs present a distraction to belayers and climbers, can create safety issues, and disturb wildlife. The best practice for safety and resource protection is to leave pets at home.
6) Respect closed areas. Closures exist for two reasons: visitor safety and natural resource protection. Sites may be closed to protect visitor safety in unsafe areas or may be closed to protect sensitive wildlife or natural resources. Know before you go: check the status of your desired route online for temporary closures or advisories before you leave your house.
7) Gear may not be cached for future use. Found items will be stored for a period of 72 hours at the JCOS office. After the storage period, items will be disposed of following “Lost or abandoned property” guidelines.
8) Report active violations or non-emergencies to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s non-emergency number 303-277-0211.
9) Report suspect hardware to JCOS at [email protected]
I (we) hereby swear or affirm, under penalty of perjury, that the information given here is true and correct. The typed signature below indicates this individual, or the legal entity the individual represents (as applicable), accepts responsibility for the activity and agrees to the terms and conditions of this agreement.
By checking the box below, you will receive a copy of the application you are submitting; however, this does not mean that your application has been approved. We will contact you within 10 business days to let you know the status of your application.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field