How do I build adjacent to a floodplain?

You will need to confirm if where you are building is within a floodplain. Please refer to the FAQ for directions. If you are building within a FEMA 100-year floodplain or Jefferson County designated floodplain, a Floodplain Development Permit is required. Please refer to the Floodplain Section 30 (PDF) of the Zoning Resolution for more information on Floodplain Development Permits.

 Development within a FEMA Designated floodplain may also require a Letter of Map Change if changes are proposed to the floodplain boundary on the Flood Insurance Rate maps are proposed or a structure is inadvertently mapped in the floodplain. Please the FEMA Letter of Map Change for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What is a floodplain?
2. Do I need flood insurance?
3. Which permits do I need to work in a floodplain?
4. Is my property within a floodplain?
5. My property has never flooded. Why am I required to purchase flood insurance?
6. Where can I learn more about purchasing flood insurance?
7. What can I do to protect my property and belongings in the event of a flood?
8. How do I build adjacent to a floodplain?