How do I split my duplex or townhome?

The Assessor’s Office changes its records based on changes in the real property records recorded in Jefferson County. Without a recorded document the Assessor’s Office is unable to separate your duplex or townhome into separate parcels. This is typically completed pursuant to the exchange of deeds. Please note, the Assessor’s Office will not recognize a separate parcel solely with the recordation of a survey or party wall agreement.

The Assessor’s Office is unable to provide legal advice as to which document you should record to effectuate a separation. If you need more in-depth information on separations, we suggest you contact a title company or a real estate attorney for more assistance.

If the property is located within city limits, you may need to contact the planning & zoning office for your city for further information on this process in that jurisdiction as well.

Show All Answers

1. How can I correct the physical (situs) address for my property, or update or correct my mailing address?
2. I noticed a misspelling in your system’s record of my property.
3. How do I change the ownership of my property?
4. How do I split my duplex or townhome?
5. How do I combine or split my property?
6. How do I remove the name of a deceased property owner from the deed?
7. How can I make changes to my property information or characteristics?