How and when may personal effects be claimed?

Any personal possessions in the custody of the Coroner’s Office may be claimed by the legal next-of-kin. To avoid any inconvenience to you, please call 303-271-6480 prior to coming to the office. You will be advised of any documents that may be needed and of any other requirements. Personal property may be claimed at the Coroner's Office, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m.; or property may be released with the decedent to the mortuary. Clothing is not usually considered property. Unless there is a need to hold clothing as evidence, it is released to the mortuary with the decedent. Clothing that represents a health hazard may be disposed of for the safety of all persons involved.

Show All Answers

1. Why is the Coroner involved?
2. Where will my relative/friend be taken?
3. Is it necessary for the next-of-kin to come to the Coroner's office to identify the body? Is viewing allowed?
4. What should I do now?
5. Will an autopsy be performed?
6. How long will it take before my relative/friend is released from your office?
7. Where may I obtain a death certificate?
8. When will the autopsy be completed?
9. Will I be charged for other Coroner services?
10. What about tissue/organ donation?
11. My relative/friend was in the military. Who may I contact for information?
12. There are family members in the service. How are they notified?
13. If there are no funds for burial, what can I do?
14. How and when may personal effects be claimed?
15. I need to enter my relative/friend's residence but it is sealed. What can I do?