Did you know the Eagle Eye Shelter atop Mount Falcon Park sits on a rock outcropping that the Kirchoff Family once used as a landfill? Frank Kirchoff was a famous contractor who was involved in building structures such as the Voorhies Memorial Gateway (1919) and the Stanley Hotel (1907-1909), both of which are on the National Register of Historic Places. He also owned the Frank Kirchoff Lumber Co. on 7th and Lawrence in Denver.
During a recent restoration project one of our Buildings & Historic Sites Specialist found some pieces of pottery while exploring the area. These white and blue pottery shards were photographed and sent to a ceramics specialist in Savannah, Georgia who positively identified it as Blue Willow Patterned Pottery from as early as 1780. Blue Willow pattern plates were a common thing for settlers to bring west and often used by aristocrat American pioneers. In fact, the term “blue plate special” refers to the Blue Willow pattern. Finding the pieces of this plate give us a little clue into Frank Kirchoff’s family who built and lived in the summer cottage from 1933-1972, now part of Mount Falcon Park.