The original item was published from January 4, 2023 to February 2, 2023 12:05 AM
January is chock full of practical workshops to help you boost your resume and find your next gig! Check out the complete list of January's offerings below:
- Job Search Tips (Jan. 4, 9 a.m.): Searching in all the wrong places? Struggling to find that next best opportunity? Wondering where to start? Use the power of positive attitude in job search. Enhance the ability to locate job openings and stand apart from hundreds of applicants. Learn job search strategies, tips, and techniques in locating the hidden job market. Companies are NOW hiring!
- Resume Concepts: Tips to Get the Interview (Jan. 5, 9 a.m.): A resume's sole purpose is to get you an interview! Is your current resume working for you? In this workshop you will learn about the purpose of a resume and what types of resumes are currently in use. You will recognize the importance of targeting your resume and discover the importance of highlighting your accomplishments. Whether this is the first time or the tenth time you've created a resume, you will walk away with "best practices" and an opportunity to differentiate yourself from the crowd.
- Chromebook Basics (Jan. 10, 1 p.m.): Just starting out with a Chromebook? Join us to cover the basics, practice using your Chromebook, and walk away with confidence! • Learn How to Set up a Gmail Account and Retrieve E-mails • Attach a Resume & Other Documents to an E-mail • Save and Retrieve Documents in Google Drive. You must have a Chromebook to attend this workshop!
- Career Exploration for Job Seekers & Career Changers (Jan. 11, 9 a.m.; Jan. 25, 9 a.m.): Looking for the right career path? Thinking about making a career change but not sure of the next steps? Discover a variety of tools to enable you to explore and identify strengths and new opportunities. You will leave empowered, prepared, and motivated to take advantage of career paths you may have dreamed about but never pursued.
- LinkedIn: Maximizing Your Presence (Jan. 12, 9 a.m.): Did you know that 50% of hiring managers decide to contact an applicant based on their LinkedIn profile? This workshop is a MUST! Writing a LinkedIn profile tells a story that is complete and well written. Learn how to create a conversational tone that gives a more engaging and approachable profile. Discover how to showcase that you are qualified with digital real estate: show your abilities strength and skills along with social proof where others confirm that you are qualified for the career you are pursuing. You will attract recruiters and networking opportunities in no time.
- How to use Gmail & Google Docs to Connect to Employers (Jan. 17, 9 a.m.; Jan. 26, 9 a.m.): Struggling with Gmail? Trying to attach your resume to an email and becoming frustrated? Wondering why formatting a resume gives you a headache? This workshop was designed just for you – register today and sleep better. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to:
- Create a new document on Google Drive
- Attach a document to your Gmail
- Use Gmail etiquette
- Utilize basic skills (bold, font size, alignment, bullets, etc.) to create an effective resume
- Set up a functional resume format
- Online Interviews: How to Set the Stage for Success (Jan. 17, 9 a.m.): Interviews are not what they used to be! Video interviews are becoming standard! This workshop provides basic familiarity and practice tips with video platforms like Zoom and WebEx, the top 5 focus points before and during a video interview and how to answer the most common interview questions in the allotted time. Discover how to set the scene for success: tips for set up, sign in and responding with confidence on screen. Whether you are responding live online or recording yourself – this workshop is for you.
- Dynamic Cover Letters (Jan. 18, 9 a.m.): Think cover letters are unnecessary? Think again! Cover letters are usually the first thing prospective employers look at before reviewing resumes. A cover letter is a shot at getting in the door and getting hired - it's a way to make a connection. Learn steps to writing and formatting an effective, concise and convincing cover letter.
- Chromebook Basics (Jan. 19, 9 a.m.): Just starting out with a Chromebook? Join us to cover the basics, practice using your Chromebook, and walk away with confidence! Learn How to:
- Learn How to Set up a Gmail Account and Retrieve E-mails
- Attach a Resume & Other Documents to an E-mail
- Save and Retrieve Documents in Google Drive.
You must have a Chromebook to attend this workshop!
- LinkedIn: A Great Job Search Tool (Jan. 19, 9 a.m.): COVID19 has created the need to use virtual tools to job search and market yourself. LinkedIn is the perfect tool! Learn how LinkedIn and other social media can help build a network of professional contacts. Understand how to increase online visibility, gain access to unadvertised jobs and use the power of social media to expand networks. Discover inside connections that help take a career to the next level. This is a MUST workshop for all job seekers.
- Resume Concepts: Tips to Get the Interview (Jan. 24, 9 a.m.): A resume's sole purpose is to get you an interview! Is your current resume working for you? In this workshop you will learn about the purpose of a resume and what types of resumes are currently in use. You will recognize the importance of targeting your resume and discover the importance of highlighting your accomplishments. Whether this is the first time or the tenth time you've created a resume, you will walk away with "best practices" and an opportunity to differentiate yourself from the crowd.
- Interviewing for Success (Jan. 26, 9 a.m.): Struggling with the interview? Learn how to display confidence to a potential employer by preparing clear and brief answers to the most asked questions. Explore ways to answer those “tough” questions. Recognize the opportunities to sell yourself. Discover how to “wow” the interviewer. You only have one chance to make the best impression. Register today!
- AMTAP Targeted Resume Workshop (Jan. 26, 1 p.m.): This workshop is designed only for Advanced Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship Program (AMTAP) participants. Please register only if you are an AMTAP participant. This engaging, facilitator-led virtual workshop will cover the following:
- Which resume format will make you stand out
- How to turn tasks into accomplishment statements
- The importance of the top third of your resume
- How to get an interview.
If you have a copy of your recent resume, be sure to have it handy so you can conduct your own critique!
- Letting Go & Moving On (Jan. 31, 9 a.m.): Lost your job? Left your job? Struggling to move on? Give yourself a gift by attending this workshop and giving yourself permission to be angry, sad, scared, and relieved. You’re worth it. Discover how you can let go of the past and create your next best opportunity.