Posted on August 1, 2017 at 3:09 PM by Lindsay Clapp
Publishers Clearing House Scam
Clear sign of a scam: You supposedly won money but first must wire hundreds or thousands of dollars, load money up on a Green Dot prepaid card, or hand over your credit card number before you can get that prize.
Remember no purchase, tax, payment, fee or money transfer is ever requested or required to collect a prize.
- Never pay money upfront to claim a prize or cover so-called taxes. If you're being asked to load money on a prepaid card or wire money, it's a Publishers Clearing House impostor scam.
- Remember, no one will send you an email or a note on Facebook to announce that you've won a million dollars or more.
- Why would you win a prize in a contest that you've never entered?
- Ask a relative or trusted friend to review any letters or emails if you think you've won a prize.
- Never give personal information, such as a credit card number, in order to verify that you won a prize.