Identity Theft

What to Do if Your Identity Has Been Stolen

Call your Credit Card Company or Bank as Soon as Possible

Report and dispute the fraudulent charges and close the affected account(s). The police will need any credit card statements, copies of checks or other information you obtain for their investigation.

Report the Crime

Have any documents or copies of documents available for the officer when making your report. If the theft occurred in unincorporated Jefferson County you may call JeffCom's non-emergency number anytime at 303-271-0211 or report it online.

Request a Fraud Alert

Call, or go online, to one of the three major credit reporting agencies to place a "fraud alert" or "credit freeze" on your name and social security number and request a copy of your free credit report at the Annual Credit Report website.

Explore Other Options

  • Make an identification theft report to the Federal Trade Commission online or by calling 877-FTC-HELP.
  • Visit the Colorado Attorney General's website for an "Identity Theft Repair Kit".
  • Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-908-4490.
  • Verify your information with the Social Security Administration External Link Icon at 800-269-0271.
  • If your driver's license / identification number has not been used fraudulently, but other identity theft has occurred, you may contact your local motor vehicle office to request an alert on your record to deter further fraud. Please be aware that an alert may cause closer scrutiny of anyone - including you - trying to obtain a license/ID in your name or gives your identification to law enforcement personnel.
  • You may wish to call the U.S Postal Service at 800-275-8777 and request to have your mail held at your local post office for pick up. This will prevent your mail from being intercepted by the individual using your identity.
  • Contact check-approval companies to determine whether your driver's license / identification has been used to write bad checks.
    • National Check Fraud Service: 843-571-2143
    • Scan: 800-262-7771
    • TeleCheck: 800-710-9898 or 800-297-0188
    • CrossCheck: 707-586-0551
    • Certegy Check Services: 800-437-5120
    • International Check Services: 800-526-5380

Replace Documents

There are various organizations that can help you replace documents that may have been stolen or lost and place alerts on those records.

  • Birth certificates and other vital records: call the state's vital records office or visit the vital records website.
  • Social Security cards: 800-772-1213.
  • BCIS (INS) documents: 800-375-5283
  • Passports: 877-487-2778