Registering an Out-of-State Vehicle


To register an out-of-state vehicle, bring the following to one of our offices:

  • Out-of-state title or current out-of-state registration
    • If your out-of-state registration is more than six months expired and your lienholder has your title, a copy of title showing an existing lien will be accepted.
    • If you are from a state that does not title, or if your title document is from another country, contact us before coming in.
  • Form DR 2698. Available online here.
    • Complete Verification of Vehicle ID number (VIN) section only.
    • Verification can be completed by a Colorado law enforcement officer, at a Colorado licensed emission testing station, or at a Colorado licensed automobile dealer. 
    • VIN verification cannot be done at any Jefferson County Motor Vehicle office.
  • Colorado emission test. See Emissions to determine whether a test is required for your vehicle.
  • Proof of insurance. See more here (trailers exempt).
  • [Trucks only] Certified weight slip. If your vehicle is a truck with a curb weight (empty weight) of 4,500 lbs or more, you will need to get a certified weight slip if the weight does not show on the title or registration.

Need additional support?

Please contact us before coming in to see if you can avoid a trip.