Registering a Financed or Leased Vehicle


  • Jefferson County will mail a postcard when the title papers have been accepted and completed. 
  • When you receive this postcard, you may register your vehicle online or come into one of our offices.


  • Transfer plates: If you wish to transfer license plates, please bring the plates and registration from your previous vehicle into an office.
  • Expiring temporary permit: If you have not received a postcard, and your temporary permit is about to expire, you may return to the dealership or bring your finance agreement and proof of insurance to one of our offices to apply for an extension. The cost for a temporary permit is $7.08.
  • Proof of insurance: Proof of insurance is required for registration (trailers exempt).

Need additional support?

Please contact us before coming in to see if you can avoid a trip.