Licensing a Vehicle Purchased with Cash


If you recently purchased a vehicle with cash from a private party or dealer, licensing requires you to submit all original title documents and a valid Air Care Colorado emission test or exemption (see Emissions). If you wish to transfer license plates, please bring the plates and registration from your previous vehicle.

Titling Document

The dealership must supply you with proper titling documents within 45 days, either by mail or customer pick up. The private party should give you proper title, odometer reading and emission test results at the time of sale.

Important Note

Proof of Insurance is required for registration - trailers exempt.