- Justice Services
Justice Services supports and improves the functions of the justice system by providing innovative, integrative, and cost-effective services and alternative sentencing.
This work promotes public safety, increases self-sufficiency, and provides the justice system with alternatives to incarceration. The Justice Services Department provides alternatives within the justice system functions that:
- Reduce the cost of those functions
- Improves public safety and the quality of life for our citizens
- Provides opportunities for individuals entering the justice system to demonstrate potential as contributing members of society
Justice Services is comprised of the following units:
- Administration functions as the management, strategic planning, policy development, contract agent, and research and evaluation unit for the Justice Services Department.
- Community Corrections contracts with and oversees private community corrections providers and screens offenders referred for placement in the programs.
- Community Service places and oversees adult and juvenile offenders who are ordered by the Court to provide useful public services as a part of their sentence.
- Criminal Justice Planning supports planning, research and evaluation efforts for justice agencies in Jefferson County.
- Mediation Services works with parties to settle a variety of disagreements and find a solution that works for everyone involved.
- Pretrial Services recommends conditions of bond to the courts and supervises defendants released on bond.