- About the Archives
About the Archives
Established in 1991, Jefferson County Archives collects and preserves the historically valuable records of county government as well as other collections relating to the history of the county. These records tell the story of Jefferson County, its people and its government, from its founding in 1861.
In order to provide the best possible service to our patrons, the Reading Room is open by appointment only, subject to archivist availability. Please search or browse our catalog or digital collections sites then contact us if you need assistance conducting your search or would like to view a particular record.
For better service, please see the following before submitting a request.
The Archives does not hold all historical records within Jefferson County. Additional historical documents may be accessed by the contacting department and elected offices:
- Arrest records: Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Records Unit
- Birth & Death records: Jefferson County Public Health Vital Records
- Building permits and plans: Jefferson County Building Safety Division
- Court records: Clerk of Court Records Research Department
- Divorce records: Clerk of Court Records Research Department
- Marriage records after 1905: Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder’s Office