Sending Mail to an Inmate
All incoming mail is opened and inspected for contraband and incoming funds. The Detention Services Division is not responsible for delays or errors on the part of the U.S. Postal Service in the daily delivery of mail. Please note that when an inmate has been released or transferred, further incoming mail is returned to the sender; mail is not forwarded. Send money to an inmate.
Can I Send an Inmate a Book?
We do not allow recreational books to be sent to inmates in our facility. Only pre-approved legal or religious books/publications will be allowed.
The pre-approved books should be sent to:
Inmate Name & JCID number (if known)
P.O. Box 16700
Golden, CO. 80402-6700
Recreational reading books can be donated to the book library by being delivered to:
200 Jefferson County Parkway
Golden, CO 80401
There is no limit on the number of letters an inmate may receive, but there are size and content restrictions. Outgoing or incoming mail may be rejected and returned to sender if there is reason to believe that it may contain restricted materials or is in excess of allowed limitations. If any item is denied it is returned to sender and the inmate is informed in writing.
Restricted materials include:
- plans for the introduction of contraband or other criminal activity, including escape or unauthorized entry.
- threats of blackmail and/or extortion.
- instruction for the manufacture of weapons, drugs, drug paraphernalia, alcoholic beverages, or explosives or incendiary devices.
- codes not understood by the scanner, to include gang graffiti or tagging.
- plans for activities in violation of facility rules.
- information, which if communicated, would create danger, interpersonal discord, violence and/or harm to any person.
- mail that contains potentially infectious and/or offensive materials (e.g., bodily fluids).
- sexually explicit photographs, articles, or materials depicting sexual activity or displaying male/female genitalia or breasts.
- any item which promotes racial conflict or discrimination, including illegal gang materials.
- material that would, if communicated, disrupt the operation and/or safety and security of the facility.
- items not authorized for retention (e.g. stickers, postage stamps, envelopes, blank paper, laminated items, plastic or cardboard items, newspaper/magazine clippings, recorded musical cards, cards larger than 8"x11", drawings or writings made with crayons, Polaroid pictures, stationary items, business cards, lottery tickets, lipstick, glitter, perfumes, ribbons, beads, string, oils, chemicals, liquids, foreign substances, batteries, electronic devices, glue, etc.).
- more than ten (10) pictures, or pictures larger than 4" x 6".
- multiple photographs compiled as a collage to make one picture.
- food items received in the mail will be returned to the sender.
- funds sent, other than the allowable US Postal or international postal money orders, checks from other law enforcement agencies, cashier's checks, or certified funds will be returned to the sender.
- books are prohibited, unless pre-approved by a detention watch commander, or designee.
- parcels/packages are prohibited, unless pre-approved by a detention watch commander, or designee.
- three-way or third-party mail.
- misrepresentation of privileged/legal mail.
- items, whether original or photocopies:
- credit card(s) and/or account numbers, bank account numbers, checks, deposit slips or any financial statement
- personal identification numbers or security codes for any financial transaction or device
- social security card, number or statement
- driver's license, passport, passport card, consulate card, tribal identification card
- birth certificates, death certificates, or mortuary documents
- real estate or property tax documents
Incoming legal mail must be clearly marked on the envelope "Legal Mail" and the address of the sender must be typed or printed to indicate the source or origin.
Incoming legal mail will be inspected in the presence of the inmate to whom it is addressed.
Addressing Inmate Mail
Inmate mail should be addressed with the inmate's full name and the below address:
Inmate's full name
P.O. Box 16700
Golden, CO 80402-6700