- Join The JCSO
- What It Takes to Become a Detention Deputy
What It Takes to Become a Detention Deputy
We are excited you are interested in a career with the JCSO. We want you to be successful and prepared for the application process.
Ready?How It Works
The hiring process starts when you select the JCSO Detention Deputy career path and fill out an online application. After you submit your online application, this is a guide to how the process works.
Complete Your Profile
- We send you a pre-screen questionnaire.
- You will be provided a link to the written examination.
- You will have an in-person interview.
- You will take a physical agility test.
- We send you a background investigation packet to complete. It’s a detailed history of your life, and we conduct an extensive background check based on your statements.
Steps to a Conditional Job Offer (CJO)
- We interview you based on your background packet.
- You will take a polygraph examination.
- You will be fingerprinted.
- We will do a presentation on your profile to executive staff.
- You will take a psychological screening.
- You will take a medical screening.
- You will take a drug screening.
- With these results, we will do a final presentation to the executive staff.
Getting Hired as a Trainee
If you successfully pass all the steps, we provisionally hire you as a JCSO Detention Deputy Sheriff Trainee and send you to our 9-week basic Department Certified Deputy Training Academy.
Contact a recruiter to find out when the next academy begins: [email protected]
Out of state applicants: please be aware that if you are given a conditional job offer, you will need to be in the Golden, Colorado area for three days to complete the medical and psychological screenings. Before applying, please make sure you can commit to the time and expense involved.
The starting salary for this position is $58,521.78. This will be your salary while attending the Detentions Academy as Deputy Sheriff Trainee. Upon successful completion of the Academy, your salary will be adjusted to $66,221.63 with a top salary of $94,293.24 after merit and time in grade-based pay increases.