Climate Action Plan
Jefferson County is developing a community-wide Climate Action Plan to address greenhouse gas emissions and help the community adapt to the effects of climate change.
The draft Plan is available for public review and comment until midnight, Sunday, November 27, 2022. To read the plan and share your feedback, follow these steps:
- View the full draft Plan (PDF) in English or for a short summary, view the Plan-At-A-Glance in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF).
- Submit your comments and subscribe for future updates using this form.
- Attend the Jefferson County Board of County Commissioners Public Meeting on December 20 to share your support or concerns. Additional details will be posted the County Public Meetings page when ready or you can subscribe for notifications on the NotifyMe page.
Jeffco is committed to an equitable planning process. All residents and stakeholders are invited to share their feedback and stay involved to contribute to the plan implementation process.
Why is Climate Action Important?
Jefferson County's recently updated Hazard Mitigation Plan identified that Jeffco’s two most frequent and devastating hazards are wildfires and flooding, both of which are expected to be worsened by the rising temperatures Jeffco is already experiencing. These impacts pose a great risk to Jeffco’s infrastructure, public health, and economy. Even under a moderate 2050 climate scenario, Jeffco is expected to experience $880 million in annual flooding and fire damage. This number could increase to $1.25 billion under a more severe climate scenario. You can explore more scenarios through the Colorado Water Conservation Board’s Future Avoided Cost Explorer website.
The Jeffco Climate Action Plan is intended to address these risks by developing solutions to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to rising temperatures, and to help the Jeffco community become more resilient to the hazards and risks they are already facing. Taking action will not only help Jeffco community members, but also contribute to statewide efforts to address Colorado’s climate risks.
We conducted a community survey from July 10 – August 10, 2022 in which we invited all Jeffco residents and stakeholders to help us collect community feedback. Additionally, we hosted two virtual open houses for the community.
- View the August 3 presentation (PDF) and recording
- View the August 8 presentation (PDF) and recording
If you’d like to be added to our stakeholder mailing list for future project updates, email the Jeffco Sustainability group with your request.