Retired Peace Officer

A valid personal email address is required for all applicant submissions.

Per C.R.S. 18-12-212, these permits are only valid to peace officers who have retired within the last five years with a recommendation letter from former Chief/Sheriff and firearms certification. You must apply in the county in which you reside.


Application and attachments must be submitted in person to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Records Unit. Please make an appointment online to submit your applications to our Records Unit. Once approved by the Sheriff, a photo will be taken and the card issued.

Although fingerprints and fees are waived, these nonrenewable permits are only valid for five years. Once expired, the applicant may apply for a new permit by submitting an application in the county in which they reside, fingerprints and $100. Qualification records may be used for the handgun training requirements.


  • Retired photo identification


Recommendation Letter

Written by the former chief, sheriff or superior officer attesting to the following information:

  • You are a legal resident of Colorado
  • 21 years of age or older
  • You are not ineligible to possess a firearm under federal law
  • You have not been convicted of perjury; you do not chronically or habitually use alcoholic drinks
  • You do not unlawfully use, or are addicted to, a controlled substance
  • You are not the subject of any type of restraining order
  • Proof of firearms training within the past 10 years

Proof of Residency

  • Per C.R.S. 18-12-205 (IV), an applicant must provide proof of Colorado residency by providing a valid driver’s license, Colorado ID or Military ID, along with permanent duty station orders for Colorado.
  • If the address on the driver’s license or ID doesn’t match the application, the applicant is required to provide other proof of residency, such as a lease/rental agreement, property tax statement, utility bill or vehicle registration.
  • Per C.R.S. 42-2-119 (1) (a), whenever any person, after applying for or receiving a driver’s license or motor vehicle registration number, moves from the address named in such application or in the license or registration issued to such person or when the name of the licensee is changed, such person shall within 30 days notify the department in writing of such person’s old and new address, and the number of any license or registration held by such person.

Firearms Qualification

Documentation / proof of training within the past 10 years.

More Information

For more information on Concealed Handgun Permits please call 303-271-5542.