You must submit a concealed handgun permit application (new and renewal) to the county sheriff’s office where you reside, own property, or own a business.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit for renewal of concealed handgun permit within 120 days before the expiration date on the permit card in the county in which you currently reside. If your permit is more than six months expired you must begin the process with a new application, including submitting the $100 new application fee. Applications already submitted will be processed.
If you are changing your address prior to expiration please visit the address/ name change page.
Proof of Residency
- Per C.R.S. 18-12-205 (IV), an applicant must provide proof of Colorado residency by providing a valid driver’s license, Colorado identification or Military identification, along with permanent duty station orders for Colorado.
- If you currently have a concealed handgun permit with Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office (JCSO) and now live in another county, you must renew your permit with that county.
- If the address on the driver’s license or identification doesn’t match the application, the applicant is required to provide other proof of residency, such as a lease / rental agreement, property tax statement, utility bill or vehicle registration.
- Per C.R.S. 42-2-119 (1) (a), whenever any person, after applying for or receiving a driver’s license or motor vehicle registration number, moves from the address named in such application or in the license or registration issued to such person or when the name of the licensee is changed, such person shall within 30 days notify the department in writing of such person’s old and new address, and the number of any license or registration held by such person.
- Acceptable forms of payment include cash, MasterCard, Visa, money order, cashier’s check or certified check made out to JCSO. No personal or business checks accepted.
- All fees are non-refundable
- $35 (total) if the permit is not expired
- $50 (total), if the permit is expired, but not by six months or more
- If the permit is expired by six months or more, you must start the process as a new applicant and submit $100.
Pre-payment for most services is required.
Handgun Training Certificate
As long as your permit remains current with the Sheriff’s Office, you do not need another training certificate.
Please call 303-271-5542 for more information on concealed handgun permits.