- Clerk & Recorder
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do if I'm concerned about title fraud or deed theft?
- Our records search website is available 24/7, and you can use it to see up-to-date recorded documents under your name.
- Enter the property owner's name in Party Name area, and then click Search. You should not search by address, as not all documents include an address on them, and older documents were not indexed with addresses.
- The Assessor's office does a thorough review AFTER the documents is recorded. The document is checked for the signature, notary acknowledgement, and the correct legal description before ownership is changed.
- If you think you may be a victim of identity theft, please contact the Jefferson County Sheriff's office at 303-271-0211 or the Fraud hotline 303-271-6980.
Do you notarize documents?
No, we are unable to notarize documents at this time.
Do you handle matters related to trusts, estates, and wills?
No, you're looking for the county courts department that handles probate proceedings. See their page for more information.
I paid off my house. Where is my Deed?
When you purchased your home, a Deed was recorded to transfer ownership from the seller into your name. That document is the Deed (title) to your home. The Deed of Trust (mortgage) that you paid off is separate from ownership documents. Once you have paid off your loan, the mortgage company will record a Release of Deed of Trust form with the county. Because most documents are recorded electronically, the county may not have a physical piece of paper to mail to you.
Can I obtain criminal records or documents related to judicial proceedings?
The county courts department is the custodian of criminal and judicial records. We are a different department.
Do you issue death certificates or birth certificates?
Death and birth certificates are obtained from the Public Health Vital Records department. See their page for application information and contact information.
Do you maintain divorce records?
Contact the county courts department for information on divorce proceedings or to obtain divorce records.
- Marriage License Information (PDF)
- Marriage Absentee Affidavit (PDF)
- Marriage Application Copy Request Form (PDF)
- Marriage License Copy Request Form (PDF)
- Marriage Social Security Affidavit Form (PDF)
- Proxy Marriage License (PDF)
- Civil Union Absentee Affidavit (PDF)
- Civil Union Application Copy Request Form (PDF)
- Civil Union Guardian Consent Form (PDF)
- Civil Union License Copy Request (PDF)
- Civil Union Social Security Affidavit (PDF)
- Document Copy Order Form (PDF)
- Document Recording (PDF)
- Military Discharge-DD214 Request (PDF)
- Recording and Copy Fees (PDF)