- Jeffco Sheriff's Office begins the early release of certain low-risk prisoners from the jail due to budget cuts.
- Absolutely everything in 2020 is affected by COVID-19: sports, high school graduations, dining out in restaurants, shopping, voting, church attendance, etc.
- First Presbyterian Church of Golden marks the 150th anniversary of its founding
In a fundraiser for the Evergreen Animal Protective League, Evergreen elects Whitman the Newfoundland as its first ever dog mayor. Chuk the chocolate lab is elected deputy mayor.
- Jeffco sees its first case of COVID-19 March 10 when a man in his '50s became the first in the county to test positive.
- All jury trials in the 1st Judicial District postponed to later in the year due to COVID-19.
- All Jefferson County Public Libraries close until further notice, even the book drops.
- School of Mines classes moved online for remainder of spring semester. Students living on campus told to leave.
- Jeffco Public Schools transition to remote learning due to COVID-19, as does Red Rocks Community College.
- Jefferson County Public Health issues a stay at home order.
- County offices close due to the world-wide COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. Employees required to work from home.
March 26, 2020
"Stay-at-Home" order begins. Referred to as "lockdown." All non-critical businesses close.
Grocery stores contain empty shelves. Toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer and flour are impossible to find. Stores don't recover until summer.
April 26, 2020
Statewide "Safer-at-home" order issued allowing many non-critical businesses to reopen with some restrictions. Theaters and gyms remain closed. Hair and nail salons allowed to reopen at 50% capacity with restrictions.
May 25, 2020
George Floyd, an African American man, dies during a police arrest in Minneapolis, MN. Protests in response to police violence spread across the United States and internationally. Denver experiences protests, some peaceful, some causing much damage to the capitol building and stores along the 16th Street Mall. Peaceful "Black Lives Matter" groups hold gatherings in Arvada, Lakewood, Golden and Evergreen over the following few months.
June 1, 2020
Jefferson County moves to 4-day work week as employees return to work with the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions.
June 6, 2020
Very rare weather event called a "Deracho" hits the front range. A severe thunderstorm and a wind gust swath spanning more than 600 miles from southeastern Utah to South Dakota causes a lot of damage. Denver International Airport records a 78 mph wind gust.
June 7, 2020
Residents march through the streets of Golden for a March for Black Lives.
- All concerts at Red Rocks Amphitheater cancelled for the year.
- Golden's Buffalo Bill Days canceled for the first time in history due to COVID-19.
July 16, 2020
Colorado Governor Jared Polis issues a state mask order requiring people to wear masks in public.
September 20, 2020
Arvada United Methodist Church marks its 150th anniversary.
The iconic water tower in Olde Town Arvada turns 110 years old.
October 7, 2020
Arsonists burn down the 25-yr. old gazebo in the Jeffco Courage Garden located behind the Administration and Courts Facility. The Courage Garden was created as a place for victims of crime to heal and find peace and solitude. The gazebo was built and dedicated in honor of fallen Jefferson County Sergeant Timothy Mossbrucker in 1995.
November 3, 2020
Voters elect an all Democrat Board of County Commissioners for the first time in 135 years (since 1885)
November 22, 2020
Free COVID-19 testing site opens at Jeffco Fairgrounds, offering 2,000 tests per day.
COVID vaccine distribution begins for healthcare workers, first responders and senior citizens.
December 1, 2020
Arvada celebrates its 150th anniversary of incorporation as a city.
Covid continues to impact everyday life in Jefferson County.
January 6, 2021
Insurrection at the United States Capitol. Twelve people with direct ties to Colorado arrested on federal charges.
April 6, 2021
Casa Bonita restaurant in Lakewood files for bankruptcy after being closed for a year due to Covid.
Jefferson County Commissioners proclaim June to be Pride Month in Jeffco. The month of June commemorates the 1969 Stonewall Riots in New York City's Greenwich Village.
June 15, 2021
Jefferson County Commissioners proclaim June 15 to be Elder Abuse Awareness Day in Jeffco.
June 21, 2021
Shooting in Olde Town Arvada leaves suspect, good Samaritan John Hurley, and Arvada Police Officer Gordon Beesley dead. Shooter expressed hatred of police officers.
June 30, 2021
Ribbon cutting for the new gazebo in the Jeffco Courage Garden behind the Administration and Courts Facility. Gazebo dedicated to honor Sheriff's Office employees who have died on duty, as well as Jefferson County employees who have passed away. The old gazebo burned down in October, 2020.
July 1-5, 2021
WWII Flying Legends Victory Tour stops at Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport, including a B-17 Flying Fortress bomber.
Casa Bonita restaurant purchased by South Park animated sitcom creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
December 30, 2021
Three grass fires in Boulder County. Extreme drought, dry conditions and wind gusts of 105 mph turn one into an urban wildfire dubbed the Marshall Fire. 6400 acres burned, 35,000 people evacuated, more than 1000 homes and businesses destroyed with 150 others damaged in Louisville and Superior, two deaths. Large animals housed at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.
- Historic Lincoln Hills resort celebrates its 100th anniversary
- The Sculpture Walk at Colfax & Wadsworth completed
- Jefferson County Board of Education unanimously vote to close 16 elementary schools
- Jefferson County Board of County Commissioners approve Jeffco's first Climate Action Plan
January 12, 2022
Denver metro area King Soopers employees go on strike
July 12, 2022
Lightning sparks the Snow Creek fire near the intersection of US Hwy 285 & CO Hwy 8, south of Morrison. Burns two acres.
Arvada City Council declares August 2022 Arvada Historical Society Month as the Society celebrates its 50th anniversary
September 11, 2022
Arvada police officer Dillon Vakoff, 27, killed in the line of duty
November 8, 2022
Regina Marinelli elected Jefferson County's first female sheriff
December 22, 2022
Seventy-five degree temperature change in 18 hrs., from 51 to -24. Second biggest swing on record. -24 coldest temp since December 1990. -42 wind chill, second lowest wind chill on record.
- Colorado businesses are required to charge consumers a 10-cent fee for each plastic and paper bag they carry out of the store as of Jan. 1. Plastic bags and Styrofoam products to be banned starting in 2024.