Budget Advisory Committee
To review and make recommendations regarding:
- County budgetary and fiscal goals as to whether they reflect the expectations and priorities of the Jefferson County community.
- Budgetary planning documents, major capital projects schedules, and ad hoc committee efforts, to ensure they align with the County's strategic planning process.
Regular meetings shall be held a minimum of four times a year (quarterly) or more frequently as requested by a majority of membership or by the Chair. Special meetings may be called by the Chair.
Meetings shall be open to the public and minutes of such meetings shall be kept. Committee shall make meeting notices, agendas, date, time and location of regular and special meetings available to the public.
Members shall not be comensated.
The Committee shall be comprised of seven members as identified below. For the inaugural appointment process, early 2021, the BCC will appointment all seven (7) members.
Jefferson County elected officials, appointed officials, or county staff may not be a member of the committee. Members shall be Jefferson County residents, unless otherwise approved by the Board of County Commissioners ("BCC").
- Three (3) members that have experience overseeing budget production for a medium to large sized Jefferson County organization, with preference given to those with government experience.
- Two (2) members that are business owners in Jefferson County.
- One (1) member from a non-profit organization in Jefferson County.
- One (1) at -large member that is a citizen of Jefferson County that meets qualifications.
Each committee member shall be appointed based on their demonstrated expertise in the following areas:
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting and budgeting principles, including standards for local government budgeting and financial reporting as issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board and an understanding of financial statements.
- Working knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable to local governments is preferred.
- Ability to assess the general application of the foregoing principles and standards.
- Experience developing and evaluating budgetary information that present a breadth of level of complexity of financial operations.
- Ability to understand the financial priorities of a multi-faceted organization and to align needs through a strategic planning process.
- Understanding of internal controls and procedures for financial reporting.
- Members serve at the pleasure of the BCC, and may be removed with or without cause, at the discretion of the BCC.
- Members area appointed for a two (2) year term. If requested by the BCC, a members may continue to serve after a term has expired while a new appointment is pending. Note: For the initial establishment of the committee, three (3) members will have one-year terms, and four (4) members will have two-year terms in order to stagger the term end dates.
- Membership may be terminated (1) written resignation by the member; (2) two (2) consecutive unexcused absences in twelve (12) consecutive months; or (3) revocation by the BCC.