Guidance for Summer Vacation Travel
Summer is here, and while Jefferson County is making progress in curbing the spread of COVID-19, JCPH reminds residents to take travel precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Before you go:
- Get fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Wait 2 weeks after getting the final required dose of your vaccine to travel — it takes time for your body to build protection after any vaccination.
- Review travel restrictions, guidance and resources for your destination before you go.
- Be extra cautious leading up to your trip. Avoid contact with people outside your immediate household, and use your best judgment when attending high-risk activities such as:
- Going to a large social gathering like a wedding, funeral, party or mass event.
- Being in crowds like in restaurants, bars, fitness centers or movie theaters.
- Participating in group sports.
- Taking public transportation like planes, trains, or buses, or being in transportation hubs like airports.
- Get tested 1-3 days before you travel. Keep a copy of your negative test result with you during travel in case you are asked for it. Find free testing sites in an around Jeffco at www.jeffco.us/testing.
- Cancel your trip and do not travel if you are sick, develop symptoms of COVID-19 or if you receive a positive test result. Follow quarantine or isolation guidelines from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
- Consider what you would do if you become ill while you’re away. If you become ill with COVID-19 while traveling, you will be required to complete isolation at your travel destination. Similarly, if you are exposed to COVID-19 while traveling, you will be required to complete quarantine at your travel destination. Isolation and quarantine at travel destinations will be at your own expense.
- If possible, keep your travel partners limited to those you already live with.
- Pack extra supplies, such as masks and hand sanitizer.
During your trip:
- If you are concerned about the safety of a situation, or have not yet been vaccinated, wear a mask that fits snugly. If you wear a double mask, use a cloth mask with multiple layers or a disposable mask under a cloth mask.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water. If you don’t have access to soap water, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol until you can wash your hands.
- Keep your distance from others who don’t live with you. Stay at least 6 ft. away from others.
- Avoid large crowds.
- When indoors, improve ventilation by opening windows and doors or by placing central air and heating on continuous circulation if you can.
- Weigh the risk of activities at your destination and remember that outdoor activities are preferable to indoor activities.
- Remember that alcohol and/or drug use can reduce your vigilance and increase risky behavior.
When you return:
- Residents (or visitors) returning to Colorado should get tested again with a viral test 3-5 days after your trip. Find free testing sites in and around Jeffco at www.jeffco.us/testing.
- Be aware that all air passengers coming to the U.S., including U.S. citizens, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before they board a flight to the U.S. Read more.
Visit covid19.colorado.gov/travel or www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html for more tips on protecting yourself and others while traveling.