Services during COVID-19 closure

We know that our closure to the public, in compliance with public health guidance, can be disruptive to our customers. Here are answers to some of the most common questions we are receiving during this time.

What if my temporary tag is about to expire?  

Did you know most people can register their new vehicles online? If you are unable to register your vehicle online, please complete the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles Registration Extension Form. The ability to receive an extension will be available once our motor vehicle offices reopen.

What if I need to renew my plates

You can renew your plates online or a renewal kiosk at the grocery store. If you are at the end of your grace period month and you have tried one of these options and receive an error message, please email us and we will assist you.

What if I need an emissions test?

Emissions test centers are currently closed - check for updates. You can apply for an emissions extension here.

What if I bought my car from a private party and I need a temporary tag? 

If you need to use your vehicle, please have with you the title, bill of sale, and insurance for your newly purchased vehicle and email us. The ability to receive a temporary tag or transfer the title will be available again once our motor vehicle offices reopen.