Join the Team!
Jeffco Open Space offers a variety of opportunities for employment in the following departments:
Building & Historic Sites
Responsible for the safety of the public through the proper construction and solid maintenance programs of the facilities and structures that Open Space manages. Provide and manage safe, long-lasting facilities.
The Natural Resources Team is tasked with preserving native species diversity, protecting ecosystem integrity, and providing science-based land management strategies.
Positions are available with the Natural ResourcesTeam! Current openings for:
Parks Technician (Natural Resources/Inventory & Monitoring) - Limited
- Assist with wildlife inventory and monitoring efforts in varied landscapes, potentially including:
- Assist with vegetation inventory and monitoring efforts in varied landscapes
- Assist with monitoring of water resources (e.g., water flow measurements, water quality sampling)
- Assist with vegetation management (e.g., invasive species mapping and/or management, forest management)
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience on a year-for-year basis. Bachelor’s degree in ecology, biology, natural resources management, or similar field preferred.
- Up to one year of work-related experience or equivalent education in wildlife ecology, plant ecology, natural resource management, or related field.
Rangers patrol, engage with visitors and partners, and support general maintenance operations in our parks. Rangers are an important part of our visitor services team and assist with multiple projects, plans, programs, and training to improve visitor safety and resource protection. Our Rangers lead and support emergency response incidents throughout the county and work closely with other first responder units.
The Park Services Team provides clean, safe, and well-maintained parks and amenities. They manage general cleanliness, appearance and safety standards, maintenance and upkeep of all park amenities (restrooms, campgrounds, kiosk, picnic areas, benches, signs), parking lot and entry roads, and provide exceptional customer service.
- Interacting with the public.
- These positions primarily are working with fencing, gates and boundary work, including new installation, rebuilding and removing of various types of fence. Primarily ranch style fencing similar to barbwire fencing.
- Requires hiking with tools and materials in the foothills of Jefferson County
- Responsible for the proficient and safe operation of all vehicles and hand held power tools.
- Assist in park clean-up, trash removal, restroom cleaning and amenity upkeep.
- High school graduation or equivalent certificate or any equivalent combination of education and experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Minimum of one year related work experience.
- Preferred: Prior janitorial or building maintenance.
The Trails Team builds and manages a sustainable trail network for park visitor access. Trails Team members spend most of their time outdoors performing trail construction and maintenance projects that include erosion control, vegetation management, hand and heavy machine construction, and wood projects such as stairs and fencing.
Trail Stewardship Team
As a Trail Stewardship Team Crew Member, you will work on a crew consisting of 10 other crew members performing trail maintenance, mitigating noxious weeds and restoring natural areas for Jefferson County Open Space. Participants will work Tuesday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from June 16 through July 30. Wage for 2020 is $12.00/hr.
Essential Duties and Qualifications
- Be on time at Jeffco Open Space headquarters, with equipment and in uniform each workday
- No more than two excused absences, no exceptions
- Able to hike two to five miles every day in extreme weather
- Safely use hand tools to move heavy rocks, branches, and dirt
- Be able to stoop, bend, push, pull, lift and perform all manners of motion related to outdoor labor
- Jefferson County Resident
- Age 14 through 18 (must be at least 14 and not older than 18 on June 9, 2020)
- Available to work from June 16 to July 30, Tuesday through Thursday, with no more than two absences
- Able to legally work in the United States
- Be able to provide and carry all personal gear, as well as tools and equipment, to and from the job sites
Each summer since 1975, Jeffco Open Space has employed County youth between the ages of 14-18 in the management and maintenance of Open Space parks, an experience that develops a positive work and stewardship ethic. The nationally acclaimed Trail Stewardship Team (TST) helps to maintain and improve natural surface trails, mitigate noxious weeds and restore natural areas each summer. The application period for the TST program opens in March each year. Learn more about the Trail Stewardship Team.
Jeffco Open Space has been the natural choice for volunteering since 1972. Ever since a grassroots campaign resulted in the creation of our agency, volunteers have been pitching in for their parks – from helping to preserve natural resources and educating visitors to blazing new trails.
See all volunteer opportunities.