- Assessor News and Articles
Assessor News and Articles
The Jefferson County Assessor makes articles of interest available. We want to make those accessible to you in the event you missed seeing them, or to view again.
2023 Property Valuation Announcement
Notes From the Assessor
PowerPoints and Infographics
Reports to the Community
Meetings, Presentations, and Interviews
- Watch Assessor Scot Kersgaard discuss the 2023 appeal process and property values with a local homeowners' group. To access this recording, please use the following password: ^ovb7U@h
- Watch Assessor Scot Kersgaard interviewed in 2023 about property value appeals on CBS:
"Deadline approaching for homeowners in Colorado to contest property assessments"
- Watch Assessor Scot Kersgaard interviewed in 2023 about the governor's property tax bill on Denver7:
"What the governor's property tax proposal could mean for homeowners"
- Watch Assessor Scot Kersgaard interviewed in 2019 on 9News:
Here’s what you can expect from your latest property assessment
Property Tax Equity
- Property taxes in the US can be unfair to lower-income Americans. To learn more, check out "How Lower-Income Americans Get Cheated on Property Taxes" from the New York Times.
- To dig deeper on the inequities often present in property taxes, look through the "Property Tax Fairness" study from The University of Chicago. The New York Times article above drew on this study.
- After learning about property tax inequities in the US as a whole, if you're curious how Jefferson County does in keeping property taxes fair, look over the Jefferson County data in "An Evaluation of Property Tax Regressivity in Jefferson County, Colorado," also by the University of Chicago.
News Sources and Articles
- Read about the latest property tax relief efforts from the Denver Post:
"Local property tax relief? Governor’s plea is finding few takers — as state rebuffs Douglas County’s own attempt."
- Read a column by Gov. Jared Polis about property taxes in the Denver Post:
"Polis: I just signed a law to reduce property taxes. Ask your local elected officials to do the same."
- Read about legislation concerning property taxes from the Denver Post:
"With Gov. Jared Polis’ signature, next phase of fight over property taxes takes shape"
- Read about the challenge to a property tax relief bill from the Denver Post:
"Colorado property tax and TABOR measure hit with immediate legal challenge"
- Learn about Denver metro area property prices in terms of square footage from the Denver Post:
"Metro Denver housing market less extreme when viewed in terms of space for the money"
- Learn about proposed changes in property tax policy from the Denver Post:
"Colorado property tax relief: Polis, lawmakers reveal plan to ease skyrocketing tax bills"
- Learn about the rise in property values in the Denver metro area from the Denver Gazette:
"Denver-area property values rise by double digits"
- Read about unprecedented gains in Colorado home values from the Denver Post:
"Unprecedented gains in Colorado home values preview budget busting property tax hikes next year"
- Read about the value increase of houses in the Denver metro area over the last decade from the Denver Post:
"Metro Denver home prices increased by $94 per day for a decade, study says"
- Read about the appeals decision on the Gaylord Rockies property in Denver from BusinessDen:
"Appeals court agrees Gaylord Rockies worth $400M more than owner claimed"
- Learn about the cooling housing market from the Denver Post:
"Metro Denver ranks fifth in U.S. for housing slowdown"
- Read about possible changes to Colorado property taxes from CPR:
"Colorado property tax increases could be capped by 2022 ballot measure"
- Read about housing wealth increases over the last decade from the Denver Post:
Richest homeowners reaped a majority of the home equity gains in metro Denver past decade
- Read about historically low supply and high prices in the Denver metro housing market from the Denver Post:
"Desperate buyers battled low supply, causing home prices to spike in metro Denver last month"
- Learn about increasing housing costs in the Denver metro area from the Denver Post:
"Jump in metro Denver home prices hits all-time high; rents continue to rise"
- Read about reactions to NOVs and information about protesting your value from the Denver Post:
"Colorado homeowners hit with sticker shock over property valuations have until end of May to protest"
- Read a summary of Denver metro area property value changes as of April 2021 from the Denver Post:
"Front Range homeowners can expect to see an increase in their property tax bills"
- Learn about plummeting metro Denver area housing inventory and surging closing prices from the Denver Post:
"Metro Denver home inventory is in the basement and closing prices are at all-time high"
- Read about increasing prices in the Denver metro area housing market as of early 2021 from the Denver Post:
"In metro Denver housing market, double-digit price gains carry over in 2021"
- Learn about the record-breaking Denver real estate market in August 2020 from 5280:
"August Was Another Record-Breaking Month for Denver Real Estate" - 5280
- Learn about increasing home prices and decreasing supply in August 2020 from the Denver Post:
"Average metro Denver home sale price surpasses $600,000 for first time ever" - Denver Post
- Read about new business filings in the second quarter of 2020 from the Denver Post:
"New business filings — down only slightly — show Colorado’s entrepreneurs still optimistic" - Denver Post
- Read about increasing home sales and prices in July 2020 from the Denver Post:
"Despite recession, metro Denver home sales and prices set record in July" - Denver Post
- Learn about how the pandemic affected home prices from realtor.com:
"How the Pandemic Pushed Home Prices to a Record High Amid Historic Economic Downturn" - realtor.com
- Learn about the Denver real estate market’s June 2020 recovery from its "COVID-19-induced housing slump" from BusinessDen:
"June sees record number of homes under contract" - BusinessDen