News and Events
- For general inquiries: e-mail us or use our online form
- To schedule an appointment with staff: book an appointment online or call us at 303-271-8700
- To submit applications for Building Permits, Rezonings, Site Development Plans, Land Disturbance Permits, Floodplain Permits, Minor Adjustments, and Pre-Applications, visit our online portal
- To submit applications for other permits: e-mail us
- Sign pick-up: Please schedule an appointment and pre-pay any applicable fees online using our online portal
- Electronic documents are strongly encouraged for fastest service. Please note, providing physical documents instead of electronic documents will cause a significant delay in service.
- Checks and other sensitive documents can be dropped off at the office or mailed: Jefferson County Planning & Zoning, 100 Jefferson Parkway, Suite 3550, Golden, CO 80419
Please Make an Appointment!
We are offering both virtual and in-person appointments Monday through Thursday. County offices are closed on Fridays. Click the "book now" button below or call us at 303-271-8700 to make your appointment. Everyone is still able to submit documents online (PDF).
Online Permit Submittal
NEW: Planning and Zoning only accepts the following permits and applications through our Online Application System (no paper or email submittals):
- Building Permits
- Floodplain Permits
- Land Disturbance Permits (Including Grading Permits, Notice of Intents and Natural Surface Trails)
- Minor Adjustments
- Site Development Plan
Visit our Online Applications Page for more information.
Approved Fence and Shed Regulation Revisions
Case No. 22-102291AM
In an effort to increase efficiencies for residents and staff, Planning and Zoning has changed how fences and mini-structures/sheds are reviewed in unincorporated Jefferson County. There have also been changes to the side setback requirement for the Residential-One (R-1) zone district. These changes were approved by the Board of County Commissioners on May 10, 2022.
- There is no longer a requirement for a Fence Permit in unincorporated Jefferson County.
- There is no longer a requirement for a Miscellaneous Permit for mini-structures/sheds up to 200 square feet in unincorporated Jefferson County.
- The new side setback requirement in the Residential-One (R-1) zone district has changed from 15 feet to a 5-foot minimum on each side, but a combined setback of 15 feet.
Regulation Update in Progress
- Proposed Floodplain Overlay District Revisions
- Revisions to Section 37 of the Jefferson County Zoning Resolution
Read more about the updates on our Regulation Updates page.
2021 Historically Jeffco Magazine Now Available
The Jefferson County Historical Commission (JCHC) invites readers to pick up a fresh copy of its annual publication, Historically Jeffco magazine. The 2021 edition follows the dual themes of education and diversity in Jefferson County, including articles on Montessori schools, linguistic diversity in schools, German immigrants, race-based residential restrictions, African American Exodusters, the African American Meta Park recreation area, the historic one-room Medlen School, the Fletcher Miller School for special needs students, and many others.
How to Get Your Copy of Historically Jeffco
All past issues of Historically Jeffco are available for free download on our Historical Publications page. A limited number of hard copies of the 2021 edition of Historically Jeffco are available for pickup at the Planning & Zoning Division offices (100 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 3550, in the Jefferson County Courthouse).
Past issues of the magazine in hard copy format may be purchased through the Friends of the JCHC with proceeds going to fund JCHC programs and events. For details, contact us.
Hybrid Hearings and Virtual Community Meetings
Board of County Commissioners (BCC), Planning Commission (PC), and Board of Adjustment (BOA) Hearings have shifted to a hybrid hearing format due to COVID-19. Visit our Hybrid Hearings page for information about hearing dates and how to participate.
Community Meetings have shifted to a virtual community meeting format due to COVID-19. Visit our Community Meetings page to access and participate in virtual Community Meetings.
You may click on the buttons below to visit the Hybrid Hearings and Virtual Community Meetings pages.