Light Rail West Corridor
FasTracks is the Regional Transportation District's (RTD) 12-year comprehensive plan to build and operate high-speed rail lines and expand and improve bus service and Park-n-Rides throughout the region. In April 2013, RTD’s West Corridor began light rail service from the Jefferson County Government Center to Downtown Denver.
County Manager's Office Role & Responsibility
- Coordinate with RTD to provide input on design and construction.
- Evaluate impacts to Jefferson County service.
West Corridor Facts
- In 1995, RTD began the West Corridor Major Investment Study (MIS) to evaluate possible alternatives for rapid transit.
- In 1997, the RTD Board of Directors adopted the MIS recommendations to run light rail transit from Union Station to Golden.
- In 1998, the Denver Regional Council of Governments View exit disclaimer policy page for links to third-party websites. (DRCOG) included the MIS recommendations in the Financially Constrained Regional Transportation Plan.
- In 2001, RTD began preliminary engineering and Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
- In 2004, EIS approved and recommended the line connect to Union Station and run from the Auraria Campus to the Jefferson County Government Center in Golden.
- In 2005, RTD began final design.
- In 2006, RTD conducted new Environmental Assessment due to changes necessitated by funding limitations and engineering challenges.
- In 2007, RTD made final decision to reduce headways to the campus from 5 minutes to 15 minutes and to reduce the number of parking spaces at the campus from 700 to 350.
- Since 2007, the county has been working to reinstall the level of service by seeking funding for additional parking spaces at the Jeffco Government Station and passing tracks.
- April 26, 2013, RTD opened the West Corridor with a ribbon-cutting at the Jefferson County Government Center.
- Length: 12 miles
- Stations: 11 Total (six stations with parking)
- Peak Service:
- Downtown to Federal Center: five minutes
- Federal Center to Jeffco: 15 minutes
- Off-Peak Service:
- Downtown to Federal Center: 15 minutes
- Federal Center to Jeffco: 30 minutes
- Projected 2025 Weekday Ridership: 28,646
For more information, please visit RTD’s West Rail Line webpage.