You must have Colorado insurance (or Colorado compliant coverage) on the vehicle you wish to register. Insurance in the previous owners’ name is not acceptable.
Acceptable proof of insurance
You may show us a hard copy or electronic copy of one of the following documents:
- A letter from the insurance company (on their letterhead) stating that the vehicle is insured
- The declaration page from the insurance policy
- The insurance binder or policy
- Your insurance card
Colorado compliant insurance
Per Colorado law, your insurance must meet the minimum liability limits (25 / 50 / 15):
- $25,000 bodily injury per person in any one accident
- $50,000 bodily injury for all persons in any one accident
- $15,000 property damage in any one accident
If your insurance coverage is from another state, you may need to provide proof that your coverage meets or exceeds these minimums.
Have insurance that isn’t showing up?
If you know you have insurance but one of our systems is saying you do not, your insurance company has not yet updated the Motorist Insurance Identification Database (MIIDB). Please have your insurance company visit www.colorado.gov/driveinsured to update the MIIDB as required.
Need additional support?
Please contact us before coming in to see if you can avoid a trip.