Motor Vehicle Fees
- Calculation: Registration fees are based on the date of registration, weight, and taxable value.
- Background: View the state’s registration fee sheet to help explain what the fees are and where they are distributed.
- Fee estimator: Use the state’s fee estimator to calculate the amount due for first-time vehicle registrations.
- Motor vehicles: State law requires a $25/month late fee (up to $100) for vehicles registered more than 60 days after the purchase date or renewed after the one-month grace period.
- Trailers: State law may require an additional late fee for trailers that are subject to taxation and not registered when required by law.
- If you are currently attempting to renew online or at a kiosk and have incurred a late fee for the period of March 1 through June 30, please make an appointment, mail in your renewal with the amount due minus the incorrect late fee, or visit your Arvada, Evergreen, Lakewood, or Littleton office during walk in hours; 7:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Monday-Thursday.
The Department of Revenue has identified an error in a limited number of registration renewals. If you renewed after June 30 and you were charged a late fee for the months of March through June, the Department of Revenue will be automatically processing refunds and issuing payment in the month of October. There is no need to contact us, as this is automatic. Not all counties are included in these refunds. Jefferson County residents affected will receive their refunds automatically. If you were a resident of and renewed in a different county, please check that county’s website for details. We will continue to work diligently to ensure the most accurate, most timely service possible in these challenging times.
- Title: $7.20.
- Duplicate title: $8.20.
- Lien filing: See the procedure Instruction Sheet.
- Up to Legal size (8 1/2" x 14"): $5 per printed side.
- Larger than legal: $10 per printed side.
- CLS/EM: $25. Emissions testing fee collected when a mobile emission test (RapidScreen) has been accepted and processed as part of your renewal.
- Credit and debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Subject to small credit card fee.
- Check: Make Payable to Jefferson County. No checks under $10 (dealerships exempt). Returned check fee $41.
- Cash: Not available for online or kiosk services.