Motor Vehicle Fees
- Calculation: Registration fees are based on the date of registration, weight, and taxable value.
- Background: View the state’s registration fee sheet to help explain what the fees are and where they are distributed.
- Fee estimator: Use the state’s fee estimator to calculate the amount due for first-time vehicle registrations.
- Credit card transaction fee: 2.25% plus .75 cents online or in office; 2.3% via a renewal kiosk
- Kiosk vendor fee: $3.95
- Kiosk check fee: .50 cents
- Motor vehicles: State law requires a $25/month late fee (up to $100) for vehicles registered more than 60 days after the purchase date or renewed after the one-month grace period.
- Trailers: State law may require an additional late fee for trailers that are subject to taxation and not registered when required by law.
- Title: $7.20.
- Duplicate title: $8.20.
- Lien filing: See the procedure Instruction Sheet.
- Up to Legal size (8 1/2" x 14"): $5 per printed side.
- Larger than legal: $10 per printed side.
- CLS/EM: $25. Emissions testing fee collected when a mobile emission test (RapidScreen) has been accepted and processed as part of your renewal.
- Plate fee after change of ownership: $4.73. Under a new law, license plates expire upon transfer of ownership or title/interest in a vehicle. (Owners who would like to keep their plate configuration are able to do so after paying a one-time replacement fee between $68.06 and $118.06 depending on the license plate.)
- Credit and debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Subject to small credit card fee.
- Check: Make Payable to Jefferson County. No checks under $10 (dealerships exempt). There is $41 fee for returned checks due to insufficient funds; a closed account; or a stop payment order. A $20 fee will be applied in other cases.
- Cash: Not available for online or kiosk services.