Zoning & Building Permitting
Miscellaneous Permits & Building Permits
How do you know if you need a Miscellaneous permit or a Building permit? What is the difference?
Miscellaneous Permits (often referred to as zoning permits) are only reviewed by Planning and Zoning, do not require Building Code review or inspections, and are typically “over-the-counter” permits for non-habitable Accessory Structures under 200 square feet in size and under 12 feet tall. Miscellaneous permits may also be used for temporary structures, construction in Mobile Home Parks, solar arrays, or an establishment of a Home Occupation.
Building permits are required for all habitable structures regardless of size, non-habitable structures over 200 square feet in size or over 12 feet tall, any structure housing vehicles, additions, pop-tops, decks over 30” tall at any point, and remodels where any studs, joists, rafters, or trusses may be altered, added, or removed. Building Permits are subject to Planning and Zoning review, Building Code review, and Building inspections.
Documents, Forms, and Additional Applications referenced on the Building Permit Checklists are available under Land Disturbance Permitting, Defensible Space & Wildfire Mitigation, and Additional Permitting Documents.
If you are not sure which permit you need, please contact a Planner to confirm the requirements for your project.
All fences over 42 inches in height currently require a fence permit in Jefferson County. Additional restrictions may apply regarding the placement of a fence over 42 inches on your property. Please contact a Planner for more information on fencing restrictions for your address or property.
Best Viewing Experience: These pdf files include fillable forms. Be aware that clicking and viewing them within your browser window may not allow you to save forms you have filled out. Instead, download the file to your computer (right click - Save Link As.. or Save Target As..) and open with Adobe Reader which will allow you to save a copy.
Applications and Information
- Access Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Access Verification Form (PDF)
- Administrative Exception Application Form (PDF)
- Block Party Permit Application
- Building Application Form (PDF)
- Building Permit Checklist for Commercial Permits (PDF)
- Building Permit Checklist for Residential Permits (PDF)
- Fence Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Fireworks Permit Form (PDF)
- Miscellaneous Permit Application (PDF)
- Parcel Research Request Form (PDF)
- Property Merger Application Form (PDF)
- Short Term Rental Application Form (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Special Event Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Telecommunications Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Utility Contact Information (PDF)