Types of Permits

The following pages outline permitting information for various types of projects. Requirements may vary based on the nature of the project and the property.

Submitting Permit Documents

NEW: Planning and Zoning only accepts the following permits and applications through our Online Application System (no paper or email submittals):

  • Building Permits
  • Floodplain Permits
  • Land Disturbance Permits (Including Grading Permits, Notice of Intents and Natural Surface Trails)
  • Minor Adjustments
  • Pre-Applications
  • Rezoning
  • Site Development Plan

Visit our Online Applications Page for more information.

For all other permit types, please email documents to Planning and Zoning for processing.

Inside the Home

Renovations and Remodels (bathroom and kitchen remodels, moving walls, basement finish, egress windows), Contractor Permits, Home Businesses.

Outside the Home

Home Additions, Decks, Fences and Gates, Garages and Carports, Sheds, Garage Expansions, Additions of Living Space, “Pop the Top” Second Story Additions, Animals (pens, runs, coops, beehives), Barns, Driveways and Roadways, Pools and Hot Tubs, Retaining Walls, Shipping Containers and Conex, Solar Panels, Sport Courts and Play Areas, Temporary Structures, Wind Turbines.

New Homes and Accessory Dwellings

New homes, Accessory Dwelling Units (Basement ADUs, ADUs above garages, ADUs as detached structures), Apartments and Condominiums, Attached House (duplexes, townhomes, two-family home), Driveways and Roadways, Access Permits.

Commercial Projects

New Commercial or Industrial Structures, Signs, Solar Panels, Telecommunications, Tenant Finishes, Wind Turbines.

Engineering and Earthwork Projects

Floodplain Work, Land Disturbance, Creation of Natural Surface Trails (hiking or mountain biking trails), Retaining Walls, Streets and Roads.

Other Permits

Home Businesses, Signs, Short Term Rentals, Events (“Parade of Homes” type events, carnivals, circuses, festivals, concerts, revivals, parades, road races), Fireworks Stands, Telecommunications, Christmas Tree Lots, Wind Turbines.

Exceptions and Relief

Variances, Administrative Exceptions, Special Exceptions.