Food Assistance program also known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers nutrition assistance to eligible, low-income individuals and families. 


Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is available for families to buy food when schools are closed or on a remote or hybrid learning due to COVID-19. Families with kids receiving free or reduced school meals may be eligible for up to $279 per child. See the Colorado P-EBT website and the No Cost Meals flyer (PDF) for details.

Are you a college student struggling to afford food? Students may be eligible for up to $234 per month from the SNAP program to help purchase groceries. Students with spouses or children may be eligible for more. See the Food Assistance for Students Flyer (PDF) to learn more. Students can apply for SNAP online through the Colorado PEAK website.

NEW Guidelines 

Due to social distancing guidelines, customers will be seen by appointment* for food assistance, Medicaid, and financial supports. For your safety, services are encouraged to be accessed online or virtually whenever possible. Please sign up for an appointment on the Schedule An Appointment page.

*Please note these appointments are not for emergency COVID rental or mortgage assistance. For rental, utility, or mortgage assistance visit the Emergency Assistance COVID-19 webpage.

Benefits Launch

Colorado Department of Human Services has launched a new application assistance tool. Benefits Launch is a free online tool which helps determine the best application process for your unique situation, completing an application with ease. The process takes 1-3 minutes and is easy to use.

You can determine eligibility for SNAP benefits and determine the easiest method of enrollment (in-person, online, or over the phone). Please note that eligibility and benefit amounts may vary based on individual or household circumstances.

  1. How to Apply
  2. What Happens Next
  3. Food Banks/ Programs
  4. Authorized Representative

How to Apply

Provide the following:

1. A completed Application for Assistance

  • Apply on-line using PEAK (Program Eligibility and Application Kit)
    • Download an Application for Assistance
    • Call 303.271.1388 to request an application be mailed to you
    • Pick up an application at:
      Jefferson County Human Services
      900 Jefferson County Parkway
      Room 190
      Golden, Colorado 80401

2. The following is a list of other items you may need to provide:

  • Social Security number for all household members, and
  • Proof of monthly income, and
  • Identification for the Head of Household, and
  • Proof of basic expenses, such as
    • Child care costs, if applicable, and
    • Child support being paid, if applicable
    • If over 60 years of age, or disabled as defined by the Social Security Administration, you may also need to provide proof of medical expenses over $35.00, if applicable.

If you do not have all the other items listed above, sign and submit your application anyway. We will follow-up with you.

  1. USDA Nondiscrimination

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied

for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: [email protected]

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at: SNAP Hotline.

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403

(voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.