A Regulation Amendment process pertaining to the Zoning Resolution, Land Development Regulation, Transportation Design and Construction Manual and Storm Drainage Design and Technical Criteria is underway. This regulation update includes general housekeeping and updates to all sections.
The 1st Referral is closed. Proposed regulations are being prepared by Jefferson County for 2nd Referral. Additional commentary will be accepted during the 2nd Referral.
Sign Regulation Update
We are undergoing regulation revisions pertaining Sign Regulations in the Zoning Resolution. The Sign Regulations section provide orderly control of signs and permit the use of signs.
Staff is in the process of analyzing comments from the second referral which ended August 25. There are fairly substantive changes that have occurred between the existing Sign Regulations and what is proposed. Many of these changes are reflective of the Supreme Court ruling on sign regulations (Reed et al v. Town of Gilbert, Arizona) that categorize signs based on the type of information they convey. The ruling stated that signs cannot be reviewed based on content. Jefferson County has revised the Sign Regulations to reflect these changes and to maintain content neutrality. Staff is also proposing changes to definition of different types of signs, illumination of signs, electronic message centers, and non-conforming signs.
The main text for Sign Regulations is in Section 11 of the Zoning Resolution, however, staff is also proposing updates to related sections, including Section 6 and Definitions of the Zoning Resolution and the Policies and Procedures Manual. All information related to this Regulation Amendment can be found here or by typing case number (17-107190AM) into the County’s Permit and Active Case Search.
We are very interested in any comments or concerns that you or your agency may have with these proposed changes. If you have comments or questions on this regulation update, please contact Sarah Rosenberg, 303-271-8728.
If you are interested in being on our contact list for future regulation or Comprehensive Master Plan updates, please fill out the Plan and Regulation Updates Notification Form.
Previous Changes to the Regulations
- Zoning Resolution: Section 4 - pertaining to organization, operation and administrative procedures of the Board of Adjustment. Adopted April 4, 2017
- Site Development Plan Regulation update to Zoning Resolution and Land Development Regulation adopted December 13, 2016 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution: Section 5 - Allowing for the keeping of ducks as an Accessory Use. Adopted September 13, 2016
- Zoning Resolution: Section 3 - allowing the Director of Planning and Zoning to permit Administrative Exceptions to provide reasonable accommodations for disabilities. Section 1 - clarifies the public notification requirements for Administrative Exceptions. Added definition of Disability to the Definitions Section. Adopted March 29, 2016
- Zoning Resolution Section 30 (Floodplain Overlay District) to amend date of FEMA’s Flood Insurance Study (FIS) from 2- 5-2014 to 1-20-2016. Adopted December 8, 2015
- Transportation and Ancillary Regulations adopted November 24, 2015 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution Amendment to Sign Regulations adopted by the BCC September 29 2015 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution, Section 7, Telecommunications (to comply with FCC rule changes). Adopted by the BCC 2-3-15 and effective 4-8-15.
- Zoning Resolution: replace the title “Zoning Administrator” with “Director of Planning and Zoning or his/her appointed designee” throughout the document. Adopted 3-3-2015.
- Land Development Regulation, Section 2, Waivers adopted 12-9-2014 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution, Sections 4, 5, 34 and Definitions regarding Accessory Dwelling Units adopted 12-9-2014 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution, Section 35, Drilling and Production of Oil and Gas adopted September 16, 2014 (PDF)
- Changes to Zoning Resolution regarding Marijuana adopted April 15, 2014 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution-Section 20 Mixed Use Zone District was adopted February 11, 2014 with changes to provide additional clarification on how the zone district applies to properties with existing structures.
- Changes to the Zoning Resolution January 14, 2014, related to the Floodplain Overlay District, Section 30. Updated the effective date of FEMA’s Flood Insurance Study (FIS) and Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) from June 17, 2003 to February 5, 2014.
- Land Development Regulation and Zoning Resolution Adopted 9-24-2013 (PDF)
- Land Development Regulation and Zoning Resolution Adopted 8-27-2013 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution adopted May 21, 2013 (PDF)
- Zoning Resolution and Land Development Regulation adopted April 30, 2013 (PDF) (related to Water Supply and Wastewater)
- Zoning Resolution adopted March 26, 2013 (PDF) (changes to allow expanded keeping of chickens and bees and to consolidate zone districts)
- On February 26, 2013, the Board of County Commissioners approve new mixed use zone district (Section 21)
- Changes to the Zoning Resolution November 20, 2012 (Section 16: Revisions to the criteria for obtaining an exemption from the Land Disturbance Permit requirements)
- Zoning Resolution Adopted June 12, 2012 (Amended Section 46-Industrial Three Zone district and definitions to allow craft breweries, distilleries, and wineries)
- Zoning Resolution Adopted 11-22-11 (effective January 1, 2012 (PDF))
- Land Development Regulation and Zoning Resolution Adopted 9-27-2011 (PDF)
- Changes to the Zoning Resolution: Definitions August 23, 2011 (Changes include: barn, commercial vehicles, accessory dwellings, additions to single family homes, B&Bs, camps and campgrounds, and Research & Development, and short-term rentals)
- Zoning Resolution Adopted 2-8-2011 (PDF)
- Land Development Regulation and Zoning Resolution Adopted 12-21-2010 (PDF)
- Land Development Regulation and Zoning Resolution Adopted 4-20-2010 (PDF)
- Changes to the Zoning Resolution, Section 11, October 25, 2011 (Amend Signs and Outdoor Advertising Devices and to allow Banner and Sandwich board signs.)
In the past postcards have been mailed for notification of regulation updates. Future notices will be by e-mail only. For future notification of regulation changes please fill out our web form, indicate the nature of your request and submit. We will add your e-mail to our list for notification.