Food Safety

The Jefferson County Public Health (JCPH) Food Protection and Safety Program works to prevent foodborne illness outbreaks and assure that Jefferson County citizens and visitors are provided with safe food. Staff routinely inspects food service operations, such as restaurants, delicatessens, school cafeterias and retail markets to ensure compliance with Colorado Retail Food Establishment Rules and Regulations [PDF].

Consumer Information

Businesses & Food Handlers

  1. Temporary Food Events
  2. Additional Resources

A temporary event is a single community event or celebration that operates for no more than 14 consecutive days. These events include but are not limited to town celebrations, fairs, festivals and farmer's markets. 

Event coordinators who wish to have food vendors may be required to obtain an approved license.

  • If your event includes temporary food vendors (typically set up under a tent and do not have a food truck or mobile cart) a Certificate of Approval is required.
  • If your event has more than 2 mobile units/food trucks, a Certificate of Approval is required.
  • If your event is private (wedding or gala), a Certificate of Approval is not required.

Food vendors that do not have an approved mobile unit license or who are not cottage food vendors must obtain a Temporary Food Service License to operate at temporary events.

  • Temporary food vendor licenses must be issued by Jefferson County, no other county’s licenses or permits will be accepted.
  • All mobile unit licenses will be accepted, EXCEPT the City and County of Denver’s.

If you're unsure about your licensing needs, please contact us at (303) 232-6301 and ask for a Temporary Food Service (TFS) team member, or email us at [email protected].

Links to food safety guidelines document for temporary events.  Opens in new window