Required Documentation

The following documentation is required to release a Deed of Trust in Jefferson County, Colorado.

  • Original Promissory Note1 that corresponds with the Deed of Trust, including the principal amount, dates and the number of notes involved. (Per Colorado Revised Statues C.R.S, we cannot accept a copy)
  • Original Deed of Trust or a copy of the recorded instrument. Recorded copies may be obtained from the Office of Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder, 100 Jefferson County Parkway., Suite 2530, Golden, CO 80419
    Phone: 303-271-8122
  • Request for a Release of Deed of Trust signed by the legal holder of the Promissory Note

The request shall be duly executed by the Public Trustee in the county where the property lies

1If the original promissory note has been lost, a Lost Instrument Bond must be furnished for 1 1/2 times the amount of the note, A Lost Instrument Bond is a Corporate Surety Bond issued by a company authorized to issue such bonds in the state of Colorado. Please check with your insurance company for further assistance in this matter

2If the owner of the evidence of debt is a Financial Institution (as described in paragraph (b) of subsection (3.5) of C.R.S 38-39-102 (1)(a) and (3), the Public Trustee may accept, in lieu of the Promissory Note, a Request of a Deed of Trust that includes a certificate pursuant to C.R.S 38-39-102 (1)(a) and (3).

If the holder of the note is a private party and deceased, a copy of the Death Certificate and a copy of the will or Personal Representative papers must be provided. The person appointed by the will or PR papers would be required to sign the Release of Deed of Trust form; however, if "Joint Tenants" is specifically written in the note, the other note holder may sign the release and only a copy of the Death Certificate is required

Request for Release of Deed of Trust forms can be located by linking to "Forms"