Welcome pre and post-adoptive families! This website will provide tools to assist you in your journey to adopt and raise your children. With all of the joys that adoption brings, it is often accompanied by challenges. You are not alone and there are many services and resources to assist you in becoming an adoptive parent, as well meeting your special needs throughout the family journey.
Is Adoption Right for You?
Can you commit to adopting our waiting children who have experienced loss and trauma and offer them a lifetime of unconditional love and support? Families are needed who can handle the challenging parenting situations and commit to being "on duty" all day, every day, to adopt. These families must be able to provide for each child unconditionally and know that even when they do not feel appreciated, they are helping to prevent future cycles of abuse, and giving a child hope.
- Learn more about Jefferson County Kids Waiting for Adoption.
- For more information on adoption options available to you, visit the Colorado Foster Care and Adoption website.
- For information on Jefferson, Arapahoe, and Douglas County's Collaborative Foster/Adoption Program please visit our Collaborative Foster Care website.
Contact the Post-Adoption Advocate
The Jefferson County Adoption Advocate is Amy Kraft. For additional information, please contact Amy by email, or by desk phone at 303-271-4423.
Contact the Adoption Advocate for additional information or help with any of the following services.
One time limited funding may be available for activities such as emergency needs, respite care, or training.
Art Reach Events Program
This program allows adopt, foster and kinship families to request tickets to area events at no cost. See the Art Reach Program Flyer (PDF) for additional information and the application.
The adoption advocate is available to meet with you to discuss needs and identify resources.
Tap into our large collection of books giving expertise in raising adopted children. View the Adoption Books (PDF) we have available for you to check out.
Get guidance for issues or circumstances you encounter. Maybe you need a healthy dose of encouragement, or just want someone to accompany you to an appointment.
Join one of many Adoption Support Groups (PDF) in the local area.
Mental Health Professionals
If you are looking for a therapist in the Denver Metro area please check out this list of Adoption Competent Therapists (PDF) from the Adoption Exchange.
Finding the right resource can be difficult, we can help. Contact Amy, the Adoption Advocate.
More Adoption Resources
Local, State & National Post-Adoption Resources
- Adams County Community Reach Center - Call the 24 hour line at 303-853-3500, or visit the website.
- Adoption Exchange
- Arapahoe/Douglas County Mental Health Network - Call the hotline at 303-730-8858, the Crisis Intervention line at 303-730-3303, or visit the website.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway
- Colorado Coalition of Adoptive Families
- Colorado Department of Human Services - Child Welfare
- Colorado Post-Adoption Resource Center
- Families First Colorado - Call the crisis hotline at 303-695-7996, or visit the website.
- Jefferson Center for Mental Health - Call the 24-hour hotline at 303-425-0300 or 800-201-5264, or visit the website.
- Mental Health Center of Denver - Call the hotline at 303-504-6500, or visit the website.
- North American Council on Adoptable Children
Ongoing Adoption Events
Adoption & Foster Care Information Nights
Our Information Nights are open to any interested member of the public to learn more about foster care and adoption. Attendance at Information Night is required before families may begin the pre-service training. Please see the Collaborative Foster Care website for dates, times and registration.
Adoption Exchange Training
The Adoption Exchange, a non-profit organization based in Colorado, offers many different trainings and classes for adoptive families. See the Adoption Exchange website for details on the classes.
Free Colorado Events
Looking for something new to see or do for free? Check out this Colorado for Free website.