- Bear Creek Toll Road Ledger
- Clear Creek Hwy Association
- Colorado Safety Council Accident Reports
- Denver Mountain Parks road plat Book
- Maps of Federal Aid Projects
- Indexes to Road Actions by the BCC
- Road Petitions, Viewers' reports, plats, misc.
- Road Record Book 1-A
- State Road Plat Book
- Unprocessed Records
Bear Creek Toll Road Ledger, 1886-1889
Series 207 (One Volume)
Ledger book for the Bear Creek Toll Road. The Bear Creek Wagon Road Company was incorporated in 1874 to operate a toll road running from Morrison in Jefferson County along Bear Creek to Hick's Mill in Clear Creek County. Responsibility for the road was handed over to the Jefferson County Board of County Commissioners in 1886 after the road washed out several times due to its location in the bed of the gulch. The County operated it as a toll road until 1889. This ledger book lists the date, name of traveler, amount charged for toll, and total amount collected per day between December 27, 1886 and January 1889 under county operation. At the back are lists of monthly expenses incurred for 1887.
Clear Creek Highway Association Minutes, 1937
Series 232 (One envelope)
Minutes of a meeting of the Clear Creek Highway Association held May 24, 1937, regarding construction of a new super highway from North Denver to Idaho Springs and Central City, by way of Golden and Clear Creek Canyon. There is also a resolution passed by the North Denver Civic Association in favor of construction of the canyon highway.
The Clear Creek Highway Association was organized for the purpose of securing a modern improved highway between Denver and Idaho Springs and was composed of representatives of the North Denver Civic Association, Wheat Ridge, Edgewater, Arvada, Golden, Blackhawk, Central City and Idaho Springs. Construction of US Hwy 6 through Clear Creek Canyon began in the late 1930s and opened in 1952. It's path often ran on top of the old railroad grade of the Colorado Central Railroad.
These documents were originally mailed to the Board of County Commissioners for their information.
Colorado Safety Council Accident Reports, 1938-1939
Series 233 (One envelope)
Reports of automobile accident statistics prepared by George E. Saunders, Secretary of State and Chairman of the Colorado Safety Council, filed with the Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder's office.
Reports list number of fatal accidents with number killed; number of injury accidents with number of persons injured; number of property damage only accidents; and total number of accidents. One report of January 1938 is for Jefferson County only. There are monthly reports for the entire state for January, November, and December 1938, and January 1939, and there is an annual report for the state for the year 1938. These reports often have a safety message or cartoon on them.
Denver Mountain Parks Road Plat Book, 1916
Unprocessed collection, but available for use; written description unavailable at this time. Contact Archivist for details.
Bureau of Public Roads: Maps of Federal Aid Projects, 1920s to 1940s
Detailed engineering drawings of federally funded highway construction projects in Jefferson County and surrounding areas. Drawings may also show some landowner names and locations of buildings along proposed roads.
Unprocessed collection, but available for use. Contact Archivist for details.
Indexes to Road Actions by the Board of County Commissioners, 1862-1941
Series 141 (3 Volumes)
Indexes to road-related actions heard and/or acted upon by the Board of County Commissioners with book and page number referencing Commission Minute Books or the Road Record Book where the action was discussed.
Index Book 1 is arranged by location: first by township, then by range and then section. It lists name of road, state or US Highway number; petitioners' names; location and description of proposed road (may also include information as to when a new road was opened or an old road vacated); proposed changes to an existing road; length or width of road; vacations; declaration as a county road; or status of petition (withdrawn, granted, not granted, etc.). Also contains a name index to petitioners and a list of road actions with no petitioners given, and a small section of miscellaneous roads that have no township and range given.
Index Book 2 contains lists of actions taken along with date of action and is arranged by section within township and range.
Index Book 3 is a petitioner name index and contains date of petition; name of petitioners; and where road commences.
Road Petitions, Viewers' Reports, Plats, Miscellaneous, circa 1862-1934
Unprocessed collections, but available for use; detailed written description unavailable at this time. Contact Archivist for details.
Road petitions state proposed route and/or existing route of road in question, the names of all landowners affected by the proposed road, and the legal descriptions of all property involved.
Road viewers' reports list property owners' names, legal description of property affected, and amount of damages to be paid to the landowners.
Loose documents may include plats, correspondence, etc.
Road Record Book 1-A, 1883-1923
Series 179 (1 Volume)
The Road Record book contains the official recording of road petitions and corresponding road viewers' reports. Includes index of petitions and view reports by township and range.
The first section of the book contains the written text of the road petition, drawing showing proposed or existing route of road by section, township, and range, names of petitioners and actions taken by the Board of County Commissioners.
The second section contains the road viewers' report with drawing, names of land owners affected, cost of opening said road including amount of damages to be paid to affected land owners and action taken by the BCC.
Name index available (published by Foothills Genealogical Society).
State Road Plat Book, 1909-1934
Detailed engineering drawings of state highway projects in Jefferson County by the Colorado State Highway Department. Drawings may also show ditches, landowner name, and location of houses, barns, pastures, corrals and orchards along proposed roads.
Unprocessed collection, but available for use. Contact Archivist for details.
Unprocessed Road Records, 1881-2003
Unprocessed archival collections have not been nicely re-foldered, re-boxed, or labeled, may not be arranged in any discernible order, and do not have finding aids written for them. They are, however, available to researchers unless in rare instances access restrictions have been placed upon them or redaction of sensitive information is required.
Please contact Archivist for details regarding specific record series.
Information on this page may change frequently. Titles of actual records may differ slightly and date ranges may be approximate. Advance notice is required to view records.
- Case File: Lakewood v Mavromatis (Recording of Road Petitions and Road Books), 1993
- Claims against Gaffy & Keefe Construction Co. for Construction of State Road 62 (S Golden Road), 1917
- Clear Creek Road Specifications (Drawing), undated
- Colorado and Utah Highway Map, 1968
- Colorado Dept. of Highways Special Provisions for Projects:
- 6th Avenue, Wadsworth to Sheridan, 1960
- Wadsworth, 32nd to 12th, 1960
- Colorado Highway Map, 1966
- Colorado State Highway Department Special Provisions for Federal Aid Project 67-A (4), undated
- Contracts and Agreements for Bridges, Roads, Highway Projects, 1904-1960
- Correspondence and Petitions related to Roads and Streets, 1907-1938
- Critchell Road, Surveyed by C.E. Lytle, Surveyor (Plat), 1920
- Denver City Tramway Co. Petition, Plat, Resolution for Construction of Wye at Sheridan and 38th Avenue, 1912
- Denver Metro Area (State Highway Development Plan), 1956
- Denver Road Map, 1968
- Field Notes of Road Survey of County Road, NE Corner Sec 24, Twp 4, R 69, running south along county line to south boundary of Twp 4, 1881
- General Highway Maps:
- Jefferson County, 1936
- Summit County, 1952
- Teller County, 1952
- Hackberry Tree (Photos, Letters, Petitions to not cut tree down for road construction and History), 1936
- Highway 20, Project #81 (Plans, Complete Set), 1941
- Highway and Transportation Maps, Congested Areas (Colorado State Highway Department), 1936:
- D-4: Arvada
- D-5: Sheridan West, 52nd to 29th
- D-6: Sheridan West, 26th to 6th
- D-7: Daniels Street (Simms) West, 26th to 6th
- D-8, Federal West, 1st to Florida
- Highway Maintainer Equipment Inventory, 1921
- Petitions & Resolutions (BCC): Vacations of Streets and Lands, 1950-1952
- Photos: Highway 285 & S Simms Construction, 2002-2003
- Photos: Streets & Highways in Jefferson County, circa 1960 to circa 1980
- Road Overseer’s Monthly Financial Reports, Invoices, etc., 1910-1924
- Specifications for Pedestrian Underpass at Montair School, Edgewater, 1934
- State Highway 62 (South Golden Road): Proposal, Contract, Specifications, etc. for Construction, 1916-1917
- State Highway Department/Commission (Correspondence, Reports, Payroll Comparison, Programs, Funds, Maintenance, Agreements, etc.), 1917-1939
- Traffic Signal Agreements, 1956-1960
- Traffic Volume, State of Colorado (Map), 1948-1952
- Vacation Deeds, 1895-1942