1885 State Census, Jefferson County
Series Number 101 (One volume)
Alphabetical listing of persons enumerated in Jefferson County during the first Census of the State of Colorado in 1885. Each entry indicates name, race, gender, age, marital status, and birthplace of every person living in the household at the time. Indexed by Foothills Genealogical Society.
1952 Courthouse Cornerstone Time Capsule Contents, 1877 to 1952
Series Number 120 (Three Boxes)
Time Capsule box and contents recovered from the 1952 County Courthouse before its demolition in November 1999. The capsule was opened during a public ceremony sponsored by the Jefferson County Historical Commission on January 10, 2000. The box was found to be filled with documents, photographs, signatures of County officials, contemporary newspapers, and various other memorabilia. View Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Ault Cemetery Association Records, 1902 to 1993
Series Number 147 (Microfiche)
Records include index, incorporation, deed, minute and record book, burial permits, newspaper clippings, and a list of gravesites of burials from 1888 to 1990. The Ault Cemetery was also known as Medlen Cemetery, South Turkey Creek Cemetery, and possibly Reed Cemetery. The cemetery lies one mile south of the intersection of County Primary 124 and County Primary 122 (Deer Creek Road which goes over Biggar Hill and old 285). It lies west of the road approximately 1/4 mile. Access is from Highway 285 on Mariposa.
County Line Employee Newsletter, 1976 to 2005
Series Number 165 (Two Boxes)
Jefferson County employee newsletter created in 1976 for the purpose of enhancing employee communications within the County. Published monthly by the Personnel Department and later by the Administrative Services Division and then the Public Information Office. Issued bi-monthly starting in 2000. The first unnamed issue was published August 20, 1976 advertising a contest to name the newsletter.
A $25 U.S. Savings Bond was given to the employee who submitted the winning name. Thereafter published as "The Jefferson County Line" until August 1990 when it was shortened to "County Line." The last issue of record appears to be the July / August 2005 issue.
Festival of the West, Inc. Records, 1975 to 2001
Series Number 186 (11 Boxes)
Files documenting the annual Festival of the West celebration. The Festival of the West began as a project of the Jefferson County Historical Commission for the Centennial-Bicentennial celebration of July 3 through 4, 1976.
It was ranked among the top 20 national bicentennial events. The event was so popular that the Board of County Commissioners asked the Historical Commission to continue it and it grew into one of the biggest 4th of July festivals in the Denver metropolitan area. Held at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds, the Festival of the West featured all local entertainers and included amusements for the kids, band concerts, gunfighters, museum tours, equestrian demonstrations by the Westernaires Riding Group, and professional fireworks displays.
The Festival ended after the 2001 event. Select Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Jefferson County IT Services Department Scrapbooks & Memorabilia, 1967 to 1995
Series Number 160 (One box)
Two scrapbook albums containing copies of news clippings, commission minutes, correspondence, and various types of reports documenting the history of the Jefferson County Data Processing Department (created in 1968) and its first computer system (purchased in 1969). Also includes full run (four issues) of "MIS...cellaneous" a newsletter produced by the Management Information Systems Department in 1994 to 1995.
Ken-Caryl Ranch History File
Series 190 (One envelope)
Historical information gathered on the Ken-Caryl Ranch by descendants of the original owners. Photocopies only of manuscripts, photographs, and newspaper and newsletter articles about the ranch and its former land owners. Includes "Ken-Caryl Ranch History" by Jo McCormick; "Memories of the Ranch" by Virginia Shaffer Devlin; and "John Charles Shaffer, Monor Mogul" by Carolyn Allers. Contents dated from 1940 to 1971. Donated to the Archives by former Commissioner Dave Auburn in 2005.
Local Draft Board Records: WWI Inductions, 1918
Series Number 195 (One box)
Correspondence and telegrams between the Provost Marshall of Colorado and the Local Board for Jefferson County regarding allotments, calls for volunteers, induction lists, instructions and train schedules for movement of men to various military training camps during World War I. Induction lists include serviceman's name, order and serial numbers, home address, and name of camp entrained to during the war.
These lists are not records of the men who registered in Jefferson County for the WWI draft, nor are they lists of every man from the county who served in WWI. They are only lists of the men that Jefferson County was responsible for sending to US military camps as part of Colorado's federally-mandated quota for men to provide for federal military service. View the link to the right for a list of names found in the collection. List of Names Found in WWI Draft Board Records (PDF).
Memorial Address on the Life and Character of William McKinley
- By Honorable John Hay
- Delivered before the two Houses of Congress February 27, 1902
- Series 193 (One volume)
Memorial address on the life and character of William McKinley, President of the United States, by Honorable John Hay. Delivered before the two Houses of Congress February 27, 1902. Appendix: Proceedings in the House of Representatives, February 27, 1902. Publisher: Washington, Government Printing Office, 1903.
Mountain Area Planning Council Records
- 1957 to 1977
- Bulk 1967 to 1977
- Series Number 187 (Seven Boxes)
Administrative records of the Mountain Area Planning Council. The Council's function was to serve as a coordinating structure for organizations and individuals in promoting the orderly planning and development of the mountain area of Jefferson County, consistent with the protection and enhancement of the quality of the environment, for the benefit of the people. In 1968, the Council learned that the Evergreen area was being considered as a venue for the Nordic events of the 1976 Winter Olympics.
This became a major concern of the Council. Other projects included a possible Planning District for the mountain area, future highway planning, the deterioration of Evergreen Lake, and the annual Clean Up campaign. In addition, the Council sponsored public meetings concerning future growth patterns for the general Evergreen area and a proposal for Highway 74. In the 1970s, the Council was involved with a variety of agencies and organizations on such matters as zoning, subdivision regulations, platting requirements, proposed highway locations, pollution standards, telephone rate increases, open space, and public transportation.
The Council was also involved with the Genesee and Bergen Park development proposals, the Johns-Manville Ken-Caryl Ranch development proposal, and cooperation with the C.U. Graduate Planning Team in their efforts to offer assistance and input into a more comprehensive plan for the mountains of Jefferson County. View the Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Notary Records, 1881 to 1961
Series Number 113 (One slim document box)
Notaries Public were appointed in each county by the Governor (and later by the Secretary of State) for a term of four years. Their notarial commission was recorded in the office of the County Clerk and Recorder. Notaries witnessed the signing of important documents and administered oaths. Official acts were recorded in the Notary's Record Book, which listed the details of each notarization performed. Entries include date, names of person granting and to whom granted, nature of instrument, fees collected, and description of property. Collection contains record books and / or commission certificates of
- Alexander Jameson of Golden
- Edward L. Berthoud,
- Frank B. Hurnian
- John W. Green, Jr.
- John W. Shepardson
- William W. Foudey of Buffalo Creek
Notarial record of E.L. Berthoud was transcribed, indexed, and published by the Foothills Genealogical Society, copy available in Reading Room.
Terrain Database - Air Photo Analysis: Martin Marietta ALV Test Site, 1985 to 1986
Series Number 169 (One box)
Report created by the U.S. Army Engineer Topographic Laboratories in support of their task producing a high-resolution, high-accuracy, experimental digital terrain data base to be used with an inertial navigation system for an Autonomous Land Vehicle (ALV). Report provides a pictorial and descriptive introduction to the terrain characteristics of the ALV test site at the Martin Marietta facility in Jefferson County. Photography consists of 35mm color slides and black and white photographs taken to provide stereoscopic views as well as monoscopic views of the terrain and specific features. Jefferson County’s Mapping Department provided the aerial photographs used for the project. View the Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Tiny Town Film, circa 1931
Series Number 197 (16 millimeter film and two copies on DVD)
Home movie film of the J.W. Bancker family from Summit, New Jersey, visiting Tiny Town and surrounding area about 1931. Mr. Bancker was the Mayor of Summit from 1936 to 1940 and also a VP with Western Electric. The film shows scenes of cars driving on a dirt canyon road along a rushing creek, possibly Turkey Creek Canyon, then the family at Tiny Town, then looking out from Lookout Mountain. Film has been digitized.
Unprocessed Miscellaneous Records, 1860 to 2014
Unprocessed archival collections have not been nicely re-foldered, re-boxed, or labeled, may not be arranged in any discernible order, and do not have finding aids written for them. They are, however, available to researchers unless in rare instances access restrictions have been placed upon them or redaction of sensitive information is required.
Please contact Archivist for details regarding specific record series.
Information on this page may change frequently. Titles of actual records may differ slightly and date ranges may be approximate. Advance notice is required to view records.
- Administration and Courts Facility Grand Opening Ceremony (Files and Photos), 1993
- Architectural Advisory Committee: Files and Minutes for Justice Center Design Competition, 1978 to 1980
- Bacon and Patrick: Cash and Day Books (1875 Court Case Exhibits), 1870 to 1874
- Bounty Register A, 1889 to 1914
- Building Code for Jefferson County, 1962 and 1970
- Chattel Mortgage Index Books, 1886-1928
- City Directories:
- Golden, 1979
- Golden and Vicinity, 1960
- Golden City Government for 1913-1914
- West Jefferson County Area, 1968
- Clark and Merrill Co., Morrison: Ledger of Accounts, 1878 to 1882
- Coal Creek Canyon News (Scrapbook Pages), 1962 to 1963
- Coal Creek Women's Club Scrapbooks, 1952 to 1983
- Colorado 3.2 Beer Act (Booklet), 1954
- Colorado Liquor Code (Booklet), 1954
- Denver in Early Days: Celebrating the 60th Anniversary Founding of Colorado National Bank, 1922
- Denver Postal Codes (Booklet), circa 1959
- Directions ’76 Newsletter, 1976
- Directory and Information about Jefferson County (Brochure), circa 1987 to circa 1993
- Employee Appreciation Events and Softball League Ephemera, 1991-1998
- Employee Training Course: Creating and Sustaining an Ethical Business Environment, 2006
- The Equine Impact: The Economic Power of the Horse Community (Report), 1991
- Estray Notices and Sale Recording Book, Record Book O, 1869-1903
- Flags: Colorado Centennial, JCHC '76 Brand, U.S. Bicentennial, 1976
- Framed Certificate: "Jefferson County: A Bicentennial Community", 1976
- Golden Annual Report, 1949-1950
- Golden City and Arapahoe Ditch Company Minutes and Accounts, 1876-1879
- Hackberry Tree: Photographs, Letters, History and Petitions to not cut down, 1936
- Human Services Bldg. Groundbreaking Ceremony (Photos, VHS), 1988
- Jefferson County Abstract Company Stock Book, 1891-1939
- Jefferson County Historical Commission: Jefferson County Designated Centennial Sites (Brochure), undated
- Jefferson County Historical Commission: Museums and Selected Historic Sites (Brochure), 1990
- Jefferson County Historical Commission: Photo Albums/Scrapbooks (Festival of the West), 1974 to 1978
- Lakewood Sanitation District Rules and Regulations, 1944
- Legislative Bills Approved by Governor (Destruction of Wolves, Collection of Territorial Revenue), 1868
- License Plates for County Vehicles, 1975
- Linda Allen with JHC/76 Logo Branding Iron (Photos, Biographical Info, JCHC Brand Info, Tie Tacks), 1976 to 2011
- Miscellaneous Filed/Recorded Documents:
- Affidavits, 1891-1924
- Affidavits of Labor and Improvements / Notice in Lieu of Annual Labor (Mining Claims), 1887-1948
- Agreements, 1863-1946
- Application for Replacement License Plates, 1924
- Army Certificate of Disability, 1867
- Assignment of Wages, 1910-1916
- Bills of Sale, 1862-1926
- Bonds, 1863-1954
- Bounty (Wolf), 1889-1914
- Burial Permit, 1946
- Butcher Bonds (for License to Slaughter), 1877-1926
- Certificates of Ownership (Motor Vehicle, Cemetery Plot, miscellaneous), 1900 and 1926
- Chattel Mortgages and Release of Chattel Mortgages, 1863 to 1928
- Church of the Brethren, Indenture and Apprenticeship, 1912
- Contracts, Receipts, Lien Note, 1885 to 1936
- Declarations (Occupation, Possession and Enjoyment, Location of Land, School Lands, etc.), 1862 to 1889
- Deeds (Warranty, Quit-Claim, Deeds of Trust, Release Deed of Trust, etc.), 1860 to 1946
- Fireman’s Certificate of Service (A.G. Smith), 1885
- Homestead Claims, 1929 and 1937
- Honorable Discharge, 1918
- Indenture (R.C. Tharrington to George W. Clayton College), 1914
- Land Agreements, 1866 and 1902
- Land Claims, 1860 to 1862
- Leases, 1863 to 1939
- List of Lots Owned by RW Clark and Co., Golden City, undated
- Location Certificates (Mining), 1867 to 1936
- Mechanics Liens, 1871-1911
- Mineral Claim, 1921
- Mining Claims, Deeds, Leases, 1860 to 1903
- Mortgage, Mortgage Deeds, Release of Mortgage, 1863-1925
- Motor Vehicle Registration Certificates and Receipts, 1951
- Power of Attorney, Letter of Attorney, 1862-1925
- Pre-emptions, 1864 to 1874
- Proclamation: Change of County Lines, Jefferson and Park Counties, 1909
- Public Trustee’s Certificates of Purchase, Redemption, and Sale, 1896 to 1931
- Receipts, 1866 to 1910
- Release / Revocation of Agreements, 1880 and 1886
- Rights-of-Way (Ditches, Railways, Wagon Companies, etc.), 1867 to 1938
- Shares to Lots in Golden (Golden City Association), 1864
- Statements (Use of Ditch Water), 1886 to 1888
- Tax Sale Certificates, 1879 to 1901
- Timber Notice, 1867
- Title Bonds (for Real Estate), 1868 to 1903
- Transfers of Title Documents, 1920 to 1926
- Treasurer’s Deeds, 1880 to 1908
- Union Pacific Railroad Co. Land Department Agreement, 1904
- WAH Loveland Dry Goods Account Statement, 1868
- Water Claims, 1864
- Will and Decree of Final Settlement (John D. Colver), 1877 and 1937
- Wills and Other Documents on Estate Matters, 1872 to 1920
- Motor Vehicle Laws (Publication), 1937
- Mt. Morrison Asphalt, Oil and Gas: Record of Wells Drilled, 1916
- Murphy Mine Daybook Number 2, 1880-1881
- Interagency Council, 1978
- Jefferson County Public Library, 1984
- Newspaper Articles: 2013 Floods
- Colorado Transcript, page from Dec. 8, 1921
- The Crede Chronicle, March 22, 1892 (Reproduction)
- Golden Transcript, October 3, 1989, March 26, 1991, June 29, 1995
- Jefferson Sentinel, January 2, 1969
- Lakewood Sentinel, April 6, 1972, June 30-July 6 and July 21-27, 1994
- Morrison Newspaper, 1902
- Rocky Mountain Herald, May 5, 1860 (Reproduction)
- Rocky Mountain News, April 23, 1859 (Reproduction)
- The Solid Muldoon, Ouray, Sept. 5, 1879 (Reproduction)
- Pet Memorial Park: A Forgotten Animal Cemetery in Rural Jefferson County, Colorado, 2016 (Report by Jason Marmor)
- Play Scripts: My Turn Next; Initiating a Granger; The Mischievous Nigger, 1877
- Proceedings of Governor’s Conference on Metropolitan and Urban Problems, Denver, Colorado, January 17-18, 1958
- Public Utilities Commission (Applications for Permits, Decision on Arvada Electric Co., etc.), 1927 to 1937
- Railroad Papers (ROW, Franchise, Resolutions, Bonds, Petitions, etc.), 1888 to 1908
- Report of Secretary of Board of Immigration (Agricultural, Mining and Manufacturing Advantages of Jefferson County, 1874
- Reprint of State of Colorado Act Establishing the Public Trustee System (HB 48, 1894), 1994
- Screen Saver: Jefferson County Springtime, 2003
- Sesquicentennial Celebration and Time Capsule Collection, 2011 to 2012
- Sheriff CD: 10 Past Council Members, undated
- Social Services Facility Open House Guest Books, 1973
- Specifications for Covering to Water Works Reservoir, 1879
- Stereoscope, undated
- Subdivision Regulations, 1946
- Tax Tokens, undated
- Time Capsule / Capstone Ceremony, Administration and Courts Building. October 4, 1993 (Photographs, List of Contents, Letters, Colorado Masonic Directory, etc.), 1993
- Vertical Sketchmaster (Device for transferring an image from one medium to another, e.g. maps) with manuals and documentation, undated
- Human Services Adoption Videos, 2009
- JCHC State Honor Award, 2014
- JCPL Promotional Video: Sound Wall Research at Lakewood Library, 2010
- Jim Moore: Jeffco's Human Resources Director, 2004
- KLTV8 Disaster PSAs: Preparedness Pete: Flood and Wildfire, 2004
- Take Your Child to Work Day Citizen Activity, April 23, 2009
- Treasurer's Annual Report, 2006
- West Rail Line Grand Opening, 2013
- Working Denver: An Economic Analysis, Denver Planning Office, 1953
- WPA (Correspondence, Contribution Certificate, Project Reports), 1936 to 1939