- 1885 State Census
- 1952 courthouse Time Capsule
- Ault Cemetery
- County Line Newsletter
- Festival of the West
- Incorporation Records
- IT Services Dept. Scrapbooks
- Judges' Photos & Biographies
- Local Draft Board, WWI Inductions
- Memorial Address on WM. McKinley
- Special District Service Plans
- Terrain Database
- Tiny Town Film
- Unprocessed Records
- Woody Woodpecker Cartoon
1885 State Census, Jefferson County
Series 101 (1 Volume)
Alphabetical listing of persons enumerated in Jefferson County during the first Census of the State of Colorado in 1885. Each entry indicates name, race, gender, age, marital status, and birthplace of every person living in the household at the time.
Indexed by Foothills Genealogical Society.
1952 Courthouse Cornerstone Time Capsule Contents, 1877-1952
Series 120 (3 Boxes)
Time Capsule box and contents recovered from the 1952 County Courthouse before its demolition in November 1999. The capsule was opened during a public ceremony sponsored by the Jefferson County Historical Commission on January 10, 2000. The box was found to be filled with documents, photographs, signatures of County officials, contemporary newspapers, and various other memorabilia.
View Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Ault Cemetery Association Records, 1902-1993
Series 147 (Paper copies printed from microfiche)
Records include index, incorporation, deed, minute and record book, burial permits, newspaper clippings and a list of gravesites of burials from 1888 to 1990. The Ault Cemetery was also known as Medlen Cemetery, South Turkey Creek Cemetery, and possibly Reed Cemetery. The cemetery lies one mile south of the intersection of County Primary 124 and County Primary 122 (Deer Creek Road which goes over Biggar Hill and old 285). It lies west of the road approximately 1/4 mile. Access is from Highway 285 on Mariposa.
"County Line" Employee Newsletter, 1976-2005
Series 165 (2 Boxes)
Jefferson County employee newsletter created in 1976 for the purpose of enhancing employee communications within the County. Published monthly by the Personnel Department and later by the Administrative Services Division and then the Public Information Office. Issued bi-monthly starting in 2000.
The first unnamed issue was published August 20, 1976 advertising a contest to name the newsletter. A $25 U.S. Savings Bond was given to the employee who submitted the winning name. Thereafter published as "The Jefferson County Line" until August 1990 when it was shortened to "County Line." The last issue of record appears to be the July / August 2005 issue.
Festival of the West, Inc. Records, 1975-2001
Series 186 (11 Boxes)
Files documenting the annual Festival of the West celebration. The Festival of the West began as a project of the Jefferson County Historical Commission for the Centennial-Bicentennial celebration of July 3-4, 1976. It was ranked among the top 20 national bicentennial events. The event was so popular that the Board of County Commissioners asked the Historical Commission to continue it and it grew into one of the biggest 4th of July festivals in the Denver metropolitan area.
Held at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds, the Festival of the West featured all local entertainers and included amusements for the kids, band concerts, gunfighters, museum tours, equestrian demonstrations by the Westernaires Riding Group and professional fireworks displays. The Festival ended after the 2001 event.
Select Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Incorporation Records, 1862-1969
Series 168 (16 Boxes)
This collection contains filings regarding incorporation of companies seeking to do business within Jefferson County. The majority of these are articles of incorporation, amendments to articles of incorporation, notice of paid stock, annual financial reports and updates on company status. These records show who the officers and directors of a company were and their places of residence, the type of business, where it operated and other information.
The collection includes incorporation records for various types of companies and organizations including ditch companies, railroads, wagon road companies, churches, banks, insurance companies, water companies, cemetery associations, fraternal organizations, granges and many others. Also included are municipal incorporation records for Golden, Edgewater, Arvada, Lakeside, Morrison, and Mountain View.
Select Finding Aid link to view the complete inventory.
Jefferson County IT Services Department Scrapbooks & Memorabilia, 1967-1995
Series 160 (1 Box)
Two scrapbook albums containing copies of news clippings, commission minutes, correspondence and various types of reports documenting the history of the Jefferson County Data Processing Department (created in 1968) and its first computer system (purchased in 1969). Also includes full run (four issues) of "MIS...cellaneous," a newsletter produced by the Management Information Systems Department in 1994-1995.
1st Judicial District Judges' Photographs & Biographies
Photographs and biographical information for county and district judges documenting the history of the 1st Judicial District, Jefferson and Gilpin Counties, Colorado. Collection also includes a selection of court rule pamphlets.
Select Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Local Draft Board Records: WWI Inductions, 1918
Series 195 (1 Box)
Correspondence and telegrams between the Provost Marshall of Colorado and the Local Board for Jefferson County regarding allotments, calls for volunteers, induction lists, instructions and train schedules for movement of men to various military training camps during World War I. Induction lists include serviceman's name, order and serial numbers, home address, and name of camp entrained to during the war.
These lists are not records of the men who registered in Jefferson County for the WWI draft, nor are they lists of every man from the county who served in WWI. They are only lists of the men that Jefferson County was responsible for sending to US military camps as part of Colorado's federally-mandated quota for men to provide for federal military service.
Select the link to view a list of names found in the collection: Names Found in WWI Draft Board Records (PDF)
Memorial Address on the Life and Character of William McKinley, by Hon. John Hay. Delivered before the two Houses of Congress February 27, 1902
Series 193 (1 Volume)
Memorial address on the life and character of William McKinley, President of the United States, by Honorable John Hay. Delivered before the two Houses of Congress February 27, 1902. Appendix: Proceedings in the House of Representatives, February 27, 1902. Publisher: Washington, Government Printing Office, 1903.
Special District Service Plans, 1978-2012
Series 191 (28 Boxes)
Approved service plans of special districts in Jefferson County. A special district is a political subdivision of the state established to provide a public service (such as water, sanitation or fire protection) within a specific geographic area.
Because Colorado law limits the types of services that county governments can provide, special districts are created to fill the gaps in the services counties provide and those its residents desire. The majority of districts draw their boundaries in unincorporated county land, but residents of a municipality may be included in one or more districts.
When a special district is created, they are required to submit a service plan that outlines the services they will provide. The service plan also provides a financial plan for the procurement of land and facilities that may be necessary to provide the services. Service plans must be submitted to the Board of County Commissioners for approval. After board approval and a successful election creating the district, the service plan, along with a certified court order organizing the district is filed with the county Clerk and Recorder and the state’s Division of Local Government.
(Description from https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dola/special-districts-0 accessed 11/10/2015.)
Terrain Database - Air Photo Analysis: Martin Marietta ALV Test Site, 1985-1986
Series 169 (1 Box)
Report created by the U.S. Army Engineer Topographic Laboratories in support of their task producing a high-resolution, high-accuracy, experimental digital terrain data base to be used with an inertial navigation system for an Autonomous Land Vehicle (ALV).
Report provides a pictorial and descriptive introduction to the terrain characteristics of the ALV test site at the Martin Marietta facility in Jefferson County. Photography consists of 35mm color slides and black and white photographs taken to provide stereoscopic views as well as monoscopic views of the terrain and specific features. Jefferson County’s Mapping Department provided the aerial photographs used for the project.
View the Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Tiny Town Film, circa 1931
Series 197 (16 mm film and two copies on DVD)
Home movie film of the J.W. Bancker family from Summit, New Jersey, visiting Tiny Town and surrounding area about 1931. Mr. Bancker was the Mayor of Summit from 1936 to 1940 and also a VP with Western Electric. The film shows scenes of cars driving on a dirt canyon road along a rushing creek, possibly Turkey Creek Canyon, then the family at Tiny Town, then looking out from Lookout Mountain. Film has been digitized.
Unprocessed Miscellaneous Records, 1860-2014
Unprocessed archival collections have not been nicely re-foldered, re-boxed, or labeled, may not be arranged in any discernible order, and do not have finding aids written for them. They are, however, available to researchers unless in rare instances access restrictions have been placed upon them or redaction of sensitive information is required.
Please contact Archivist for details regarding specific record series.
Information on this page may change frequently. Titles of actual records may differ slightly and date ranges may be approximate. Advance notice is required to view records.
- Administration and Courts Facility Grand Opening Ceremony (Files and Photos), 1993
- Architectural Advisory Committee: Files and Minutes for Justice Center Design Competition, 1978-1980
- Bacon and Patrick: Cash and Day Books (1875 Court Case Exhibits), 1870-1874
- Bounty Register A, 1889-1914
- Chattel Mortgage Index Books, 1886-1928
- City Directories:
- Golden, 1966 & 1979
- Golden and Vicinity, 1960
- Golden City Government for 1913-1914
- West Jefferson County Area, 1968
- Clark and Merrill Co., Morrison: Ledger of Accounts, 1878-1882
- Coal Creek Canyon News (Scrapbook Pages), 1962-1963
- Coal Creek Women's Club Scrapbooks, 1952-1983
- Colorado 3.2 Beer Act (Booklet), 1954
- Colorado Liquor Code (Booklet), 1954
- Denver in Early Days: Celebrating the 60th Anniversary Founding of Colorado National Bank, 1922
- Denver Postal Codes (Booklet), circa 1959
- Directions ’76 Newsletter, 1976
- Directory and Information about Jefferson County (Brochure), circa 1987 to circa 1993
- Employee Appreciation Events and Softball League Ephemera, 1991-1998
- Employee Training Course: Creating and Sustaining an Ethical Business Environment, 2006
- The Equine Impact: The Economic Power of the Horse Community (Report), 1991
- Estray Notices and Sale Recording Book, Record Book O, 1869-1903
- Flags: Colorado Centennial, JCHC '76 Brand, U.S. Bicentennial, 1976; Jeffco 2017; Colorado 2012
- Framed Certificate: "Jefferson County: A Bicentennial Community", 1976
- Golden Annual Report, 1949-1950
- Golden City and Arapahoe Ditch Company Minutes and Accounts, 1876-1879
- Hackberry Tree: Photographs, Letters, History and Petitions to not cut down, 1936
- Human Services Bldg. Groundbreaking Ceremony (Photos, VHS), 1988
- Jefferson County Abstract Company Stock Book, 1891-1939
- Jefferson County Historical Commission: Jefferson County Designated Centennial Sites (Brochure), undated
- Jefferson County Historical Commission: Museums and Selected Historic Sites (Brochure), 1990
- Jefferson County Historical Commission: Photo Albums/Scrapbooks (Festival of the West), 1974-1978
- Lakewood Sanitation District Rules and Regulations, 1944
- Legislative Bills Approved by Governor (Destruction of Wolves, Collection of Territorial Revenue), 1868
- License Plates for County Vehicles, 1975
- Linda Allen with JHC/76 Logo Branding Iron (Photos, Biographical Info, JCHC Brand Info, Tie Tacks), 1976-2011
- Miscellaneous Filed/Recorded Documents:
- Affidavits, 1891-1924
- Affidavits of Labor and Improvements / Notice in Lieu of Annual Labor (Mining Claims), 1887-1948
- Agreements, 1863-1946
- Application for Replacement License Plates, 1924
- Army Certificate of Disability, 1867
- Assignment of Wages, 1910-1916
- Bills of Sale, 1862-1926
- Bonds, 1863-1954
- Bounty (Wolf), 1889-1914
- Burial Permit, 1946
- Butcher Bonds (for License to Slaughter), 1877-1926
- Certificates of Ownership (Motor Vehicle, Cemetery Plot, miscellaneous), 1900 & 1926
- Chattel Mortgages and Release of Chattel Mortgages, 1863-1928
- Church of the Brethren, Indenture and Apprenticeship, 1912
- Contracts, Receipts, Lien Note, 1885-1936
- Declarations (Occupation, Possession and Enjoyment, Location of Land, School Lands, etc.), 1862-1889
- Deeds (Warranty, Quit-Claim, Deeds of Trust, Release Deed of Trust, etc.), 1860-1946
- Fireman’s Certificate of Service (A.G. Smith), 1885
- Homestead Claims, 1929 & 1937
- Honorable Discharge, 1918
- Indenture (R.C. Tharrington to George W. Clayton College), 1914
- Land Agreements, 1866 & 1902
- Land Claims, 1860-1862
- Leases, 1863-1939
- List of Lots Owned by RW Clark & Co., Golden City, undated
- Location Certificates (Mining), 1867-1936
- Mechanics Liens, 1871-1911
- Mineral Claim, 1921
- Mining Claims, Deeds, Leases, 1860-1903
- Mortgage, Mortgage Deeds, Release of Mortgage, 1863-1925
- Motor Vehicle Registration Certificates and Receipts, 1951
- Power of Attorney, Letter of Attorney, 1862-1925
- Pre-emptions, 1864-1874
- Proclamation: Change of County Lines, Jefferson and Park Counties, 1909
- Public Trustee’s Certificates of Purchase, Redemption, and Sale, 1896-1931
- Receipts, 1866-1910
- Release / Revocation of Agreements, 1880 & 1886
- Rights-of-Way (Ditches, Railways, Wagon Companies, etc.), 1867-1938
- Shares to Lots in Golden (Golden City Association), 1864
- Statements (Use of Ditch Water), 1886-1888
- Tax Sale Certificates, 1879-1901
- Timber Notice, 1867
- Title Bonds (for Real Estate), 1868-1903
- Transfers of Title Documents, 1920-1926
- Treasurer’s Deeds, 1880-1908
- Union Pacific Railroad Co. Land Department Agreement, 1904
- WAH Loveland Dry Goods Account Statement, 1868
- Water Claims, 1864
- Will and Decree of Final Settlement (John D. Colver), 1877 &d 1937
- Wills and Other Documents on Estate Matters, 1872-1920
- Motor Vehicle Laws (Publication), 1937
- Mt. Morrison Asphalt, Oil and Gas: Record of Wells Drilled, 1916
- Murphy Mine Daybook Number 2, 1880-1881
- Interagency Council, 1978
- Jefferson County Public Library, 1984
- Newspaper Articles: 2013 Floods
- Pet Memorial Park: A Forgotten Animal Cemetery in Rural Jefferson County, Colorado, 2016 (Report by Jason Marmor)
- Play Scripts: My Turn Next; Initiating a Granger; The Mischievous Nigger, 1877
- Proceedings of Governor’s Conference on Metropolitan and Urban Problems, Denver, Colorado, January 17-18, 1958
- Public Utilities Commission (Applications for Permits, Decision on Arvada Electric Co., etc.), 1927-1937
- Railroad Papers (ROW, Franchise, Resolutions, Bonds, Petitions, etc.), 1888-1908
- Report of Secretary of Board of Immigration (Agricultural, Mining and Manufacturing Advantages of Jefferson County), 1874
- Reprint of State of Colorado Act Establishing the Public Trustee System (HB 48, 1894), 1994
- Screen Saver: Jefferson County Springtime, 2003
- Sesquicentennial Celebration and Time Capsule Collection, 2011-2012
- Sheriff CD: 10 Past Council Members, undated
- Social Services Facility Open House Guest Books, 1973
- Specifications for Covering to Water Works Reservoir, 1879
- Stereoscope, undated
- Subdivision Regulations, 1946
- Tax Tokens, undated
- Time Capsule / Capstone Ceremony, Administration and Courts Building. October 4, 1993 (Photographs, List of Contents, Letters, Colorado Masonic Directory, etc.), 1993
- Vertical Sketchmaster (Device for transferring an image from one medium to another, e.g. maps) with manuals and documentation, undated
- Human Services Adoption Videos, 2009
- JCHC State Honor Award, 2014
- JCPL Promotional Video: Sound Wall Research at Lakewood Library, 2010
- Jim Moore: Jeffco's Human Resources Director, 2004
- KLTV8 Disaster PSAs: Preparedness Pete: Flood and Wildfire, 2004
- Take Your Child to Work Day Citizen Activity, April 23, 2009
- Treasurer's Annual Report, 2006
- West Rail Line Grand Opening, 2013
- Working Denver: An Economic Analysis, Denver Planning Office, 1953
- WPA (Correspondence, Contribution Certificate, Project Reports), 1936-1939
Woody Woodpecker "Solid Ivory" Cartoon, 1947
Series 200 (One 8mm Film reel, 3:07, not yet digitized)
8mm silent, black & white film, #494 "Solid Ivory" Woody Woodpecker cartoon (Walter Lantz) by Castle Films, 1947. Plot summary: Woody is shooting pool at a farm house when one of his pool balls rolls into a nearby henhouse. He takes the ball back but must battle with the hen who thinks the woodpecker is taking one of her eggs. Woody makes several attempts to get the ball back from the protective poultry finally disguising himself as a macho continental rooster whom the hen falls for causing Woody to retrieve his ball. But it doesn't last long. The hen gets wise prompting Woody to trip spilling all the hen's eggs all over himself and getting conked with his own pool ball! (Plot summary written by Matt Yorston, from www.imdb.com, accessed 5/3/2017.) Digital version of film found on YouTube (uploaded by jjarse2 in 2011) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2kZRCJu-SY&t=38s