Who Can Apply for Head Start?
Children must be three years-of-age, and not yet five years-of-age, by October 1 of the calendar year in order to be enrolled. Families are encouraged to apply prior to child’s 3rd birthday and can be enrolled immediately upon child turning 3 years old (if their birthday takes place at any other time during the year). Children do NOT need to be potty-trained in order to attend Head Start!
Families must reside in our service area, which is JEFFERSON COUNTY, COLORADO, excluding the city of Lakewood. Verification of residency is required. (City of Lakewood residents can call 303‐987‐2490 to apply for Lakewood Head Start.)
Families must provide verification of income in order to qualify for the program. Regardless of income, some children are automatically eligible:
- Foster children or children in kinship care
- Families experiencing homelessness (including living with family member due to economic hardship)
- Families receiving TANF/Colorado Works
- Families receiving SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Families receiving SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
Although the majority of our families are below the federal poverty guideline, we have over-income spaces set aside to serve children with special needs and other circumstances. Income is not our only criterion. We encourage all families to apply!
For more information, please call Jefferson County Head Start at 720-497-7900.
1. Submit an Application:
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD, PLEASE CALL (303)987-2490 TO APPLY FOR LAKEWOOD HEAD START.
Due to the current COVID-19 concerns, we have added the option of submitting an application and documents online. You may apply here: English Online Application. Puedes aplicar aqui: Aplicacion en espanol
You are also able to pick up an application and submit documents in person to our Arvada location.
**If you are a previous Head Start family, the system may not allow you to submit the application electronically. You can complete the fillable PDF application here (English Fillable PDF application or Spanish Fillable PDF Application) and submit electronically at the link below! If you are using your phone to complete this PDF, you will have to download it before you can fill it out.**
Once your application has been submitted above, please follow the directions below to submit the additional required documents for the application electronically through our secure email process. Once those are received, you will be contacted to schedule a virtual intake appointment.
2. Submit Your Additional Documents, either online or in-person:
The following additional documents are required to determine your eligibility for the program. You may submit them individually or all at once:
- Your child’s birth certificate or other form of age verification
- Verification of residency (Utility bill, lease, mortgage statement, SSI verification, Food Stamp or TANF verification with parent/guardian name and address)
- Your child’s current and complete immunization record. (Learn more about immunizations on the Jefferson County Public Health website.)
- Proof of family’s income (2021 W2’s, 2021 income tax returns, or twelve months of check stubs; verification of TANF or SSI are also acceptable.)
You can bring them into our Arvada location or submit electronically. At the time your application is received, you will be contacted with a secure email link to submit the remaining needed documentation electronically, if you prefer.
3. Submit Health Documents when Completed:
**We understand that many regular doctor and dentist appointments have been postponed due to COVID-19. These documents can be submitted at any time and are NOT required at the time of application!**
- Child’s Physical Exam Form; exam must have been completed within the last calendar year. If your child hasn’t had a well-child check in the last 12 months, now is a great time to get one scheduled!
- Child’s Dental Exam Form. If your child has not yet visited the dentist, now is a great time to schedule his/her first appointment!
In order for us to request your child’s physical or dental examination forms from your doctor or dentist, please fill out our Consent to Exchange Information Form and bring it with you to your enrollment appointment.
Any documents can be submitted to us at any time through the link above. If you need assistance obtaining any of the above information, or if you have any questions about what is needed, please feel free to call us anytime at (720)497-7900.