Licenses & Registrations
Estray Records, 1865-1991 (Bulk 1865-1903)
Series 194 (1 Box)
Estrays are valuable, tame animals (cattle or horses) found running at large or outside the limits of their usual range or pasture. Estray notices are filed when an animal is either lost or found wandering and presumed escaped from its owner. The animal is examined for a brand and its owner notified. If no owner is found in the brand records, the notice is posted, allowing the owner time to reclaim the animal. If not claimed, the animal is sold.
This collection contains notices of animals found, warrants to appraise, appraisal oaths and reports and notices of sale of estray stock. Collection also contains reports of stock killed by the Colorado Central Railroad. When cattle were killed or injured by a train, the engineer was required to report it and those reports filed with the Clerk and Recorder. Reports include date and location of incident, owner’s name, kind of stock, age, mark or brand, by what train, and how disposed of.
Related records: Deed and Record Book O: “Estray Notices and Sales,” and Livestock Brand Registrations.
Livestock Brand Registrations, 1868-1997
Series 104 (3 Volumes & 4 Boxes)
Records of livestock brands and marks registered in Jefferson County. The Stock Brand Index book shows name of brand owner, drawing of brand or mark, placement on animal, and book and page in which the brand certificate was recorded.
Two early record books (books 16 and IIA only) contain the certificate of stock brand or the deed of registration (Book IIA includes a few entries of people from Gilpin, Park, Boulder, Arapahoe, Clear Creek and Otero counties). Collection includes actual brand certificates filed with the County Clerk and Recorder, and recorded in books Q and 16 (arranged alphabetically by registrant).
Starting in 1899, brands were registered with the State rather than the County. Collection also includes later volumes of the Colorado Brand Book and records of new brands and transfers of brands (arranged chronologically) from the State Board of Stock Inspection.
Select link to see complete collection description.
Indexed by Foothills Genealogical Society.
Related collection: Estray Records.
Motor Vehicle Registrations, 1954
Series 150 (1 Volume)
Trailer, motorcycle, replacement licenses, tractor, dealer, and aircraft registrations. Record book is arranged numerically by license number consisting of:
- Date of registration
- Fee amount
- License number
- manufacturer number
- Name of owner or dealer
- Owner's address or dealer's business address
- Tax amount
- Title number
Related Collection: Series 100, Tax and Assessment Rolls for Autos, 1928-1936 only. Lists name of owner, address, year and make of automobile, and tax information.
Unprocessed Licenses & Registrations, 1867-1979
Unprocessed archival collections have not been nicely re-foldered, re-boxed, or labeled, may not be arranged in any discernible order, and do not have finding aids written for them. They are, however, available to researchers unless in rare instances access restrictions have been placed upon them or redaction of sensitive information is required.
Please contact Archivist for details regarding specific record series.
Information on this page may change frequently. Titles of actual records may differ slightly and date ranges may be approximate. Advance notice is required to view records.
- Bonds and Affidavits for Mountain Lion Bounty, 1880-1954
- Bounty (Wolf), 1879
- Bounty Register A, 1889-1914
- Butcher Bonds (for License to Slaughter), 1877-1926
- Certificate of Ownership for Motor Vehicle, 1925
- Colorado 3.2 Beer Act (Booklet), 1954
- Colorado Liquor Code (Booklet), 1954
- County Clerk’s Monthly Report to State Game and Fish Department of Hunting and Fishing Licenses Sold, 1936-1938
- Estray Notices and Sale Recording Book, Record Book O, 1869-1903
- Financial Statements of Game and Fish Licenses Sold, 1946
- Fish and Game License Report of Licenses Issued, 1927
- Lakewood Sanitation District Monthly Report of Sewer Permits Issued, 1949-1953
- License Book, 1896-1911
- Licenses (Liquor, Grocery), 1868-1887 & 1937
- Lists of Building Permits Issued / Denied, Evergreen Office and Unincorporated (Monthly Report of Building Inspector), 1943-1979
- Motor Vehicle Laws, 1937
- Motor Vehicle Registration Certificates and Receipts, 1951
- Petitions (Liquor, Dance Hall, Pheasant Shooting, Saloon License, etc.), 1913-1961
- Reports of Vehicle Titles Issued and Lists of Titles, 1946
- Timber Notice, 1867