Land & Property Records
- Abstract of Land Entries
- Abstracts of Title
- Assessor Tract Index Books
- BOA Lakewood Case files
- Building Code
- Chattel Mortgage Index Books
- Community Plan Books
- Deed and Record Books
- Field Survey Books
- Foreclosure Files
- Foreclosure Registers
- Grantor-Grantee Indices
- Ken-Caryl Ranch History File
Abstract of Land Entries, 1863-1915
Series 140 (1 Volume)
Abstract of land entries for lands held in Jefferson County with a few entries for Park and Douglas Counties. Land entries are the transactions that transfer public lands from the United States to private ownership. Arranged by numbered section, township, and range (legal description) of the land. Lists number of acres, name of entryman, date of proof, and any remarks or notes. Earliest date of proof shown is 1863, latest is 1915. Notes document mineral land, state land, patents, state patents, and at least one cemetery.
Abstracts of Title
This collection consists of real estate abstracts for various properties in Jefferson County, Colorado. An abstract of title is a summary of the various activities affecting ownership of a parcel of land. It contains the original grant and all subsequent conveyances and encumbrances affecting the property and a certification by the abstractor that the history is complete and accurate. All abstracts were received from private donors.
Collection contains abstracts of title to the properties listed below:
- Sec 10, T4S, R70W, N½SE¼, 1867-1897
- Secs 15, 22, 23, 24, 25 & 26, T3S, R71W, 1884-1924
S½ SE¼ SE¼ SE¼ Section 15; E½ NE¼ & SE¼ Section 22; W½ NE¼ & NW¼ & S½ Section 23; W½ SE¼ and E½ SW¼ Section 24; E½ NE¼ and NW¼ NE¼ & NE¼ NW¼ and W½ NW¼ Section 25; and N½ Section 26
Lower Horning - The original location of Guy Hill School was located on the north side of this property near the only entrance from Golden Gate Canyon Road.
- Berkeley in Jefferson, Block 2, Lots 14, 15 &16, 1865-1958
- Golden City, South Side Clear Creek, Block 31, Lot 1 and E 40 ft. of Lot 2, 1866-1899
- Olinger Gardens, Block 11, Lot 7, 1869-1950
- Ostranders, Lots 8, 9, & E 10 ft. of Lot 10, 1872-1927
(Part NE¼ SW¼ Sec. 11, T3S, R69W)
- Reno Park, Block 3, Lots 24, 25, 26 & 27, 1869-1901
Includes warranty deed dated 1919 for Lots 24 & 25
Assessor Tract Index Books, circa 1910 to 1987
Series 182 (64 Volumes)
The ownership of a specific parcel of land can be traced from about 1987 back to 1910 or earlier using these books. Arranged alphabetically by name of subdivision for subdivided land, or numerically by section, township, and range in the metes and bounds books. These index books list legal description of land; name of grantee; book, page, and date recorded; and sometimes the kind of deed.
Note: Ownership prior to 1910 or the earliest entry in the book can be traced backwards to the patentee using other records such as Grantor and Grantee Indexes, Abstract of Land Entries book, and Deed Books.
Board of Adjustment Lakewood Case Files, 1941-1989
Series 139 (12 Boxes)
Case Files for property annexed by Lakewood. The Board of Adjustment (BOA) is a seven member board, created by State Statute and appointed by Jefferson County Commissioners. It has the authority to grant variances and/or special exceptions to established zoning regulations if an adequate hardship or practical difficulty has been demonstrated.
Variances (e.g., reduction of required setbacks or lot size, or increase in height, etc.) run with the land, while most Special Exceptions (e.g., temporary structures, home occupations, etc.) are granted for a specified length of time and require rehearing and renewal upon expiration.
Numerical list of case numbers with name and address available.
Building Code of Jefferson County, 1948, 1962, 1970
Series 199 (3 Volumes)
In 1945, legislation was passed (Session Laws of Colorado 1945, Ch. 90 and Session Laws 1947, Ch. 163) permitting counties to adopt building codes in the zoned portions of unincorporated areas. The Tri-County Regional Planning Commission (Arapahoe, Adams & Jefferson Counties) prepared the first edition of the uniform building code, distributed by the State Planning Commission.
The purpose of the code was to promote the public health, safety, morals and general welfare, and the safety, protection and sanitation of dwellings, buildings and structures within the zoned area; and to establish uniform requirements in all area building codes within the county.
In May 1948, the Jefferson County Board of County Commissioners instructed the County Attorney's office to establish a building code for Jefferson County. The code has been continuously revised over the years.
This collection includes the 1948 edition of the Uniform Building Code of Colorado by the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission (revised July 1, 1949); the 1962 Jefferson County Building Code (which includes a chapter on fallout shelters); and the 1970 Jeffco Building Code Volume I-A.
Chattel Mortgage Index Books, 1886-1928
Name indexes listing mortgager, mortgagee, and book and page chattel mortgage recorded in. See Deed and Record Books.
Unprocessed collection, but available for use. Contact Archivist for details.
Community Plan Books & Miscellaneous Publications, 1960-2007
Series 138 (9 Boxes)
Publications produced by Planning and Zoning containing policy recommendations developed to serve as a guide for land use and service decisions. Community Plan books cover plans for regions of Jefferson County as well as plans for specific communities.
See Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Deed & Record Books, 1860-1963
Unprocessed collections, but available for use; finding aids unavailable at this time. Contact Archivist for details.
Record Books A-T (1860-1883)
Record Books A-T contain recorded agreements, bills of sale, bonds, certificates of levy, chattel mortgages, contracts, deeds, land claims, land patents, leases, lode location certificates, some marriages, mechanics liens, powers of attorney, pre-emptions and more
Name Index available for books A-B (Indexed by Foothills Genealogical Society). Volume Indexes to books J-S. Record Book A2 is for Junction District (Evergreen/Conifer).
Recorded Document Books 2-227 (1872-1939)
Recorded Document Books 2-227 contain recordings of trust deeds and mortgages; warranty deeds; chattel mortgages; judgment records; official bonds; levy, sales and redemption; mechanics liens; patents; location records; location and mining deed records; treasurer's tax deeds; administrative and executive deeds and decrees of final settlement; and more. Most books include name indexes.
Real Estate Record Books P397-P1622 (1938-1963)
Real Estate Record Books P397 through P1622 contain photostat copies of deeds and other recorded documents dealing with real estate matters including court findings, agreements, decrees, etc.
Field Survey Books and Notes, 1875-1877 & 1915
Series 122 (1 Box)
Original field survey book, photocopy of same, and transcription of Jefferson County Surveyor Edward L. Berthoud containing surveys of county roads, mineral / mining claims, railroad rights-of-way and boundaries. This book of handwritten and drawn field surveys is labeled: "Private, Surveys of Roads, Mining Claims, and Land, 1875-1877."
Typewritten "Field Notes of Section 1, Township 5 South, Range 72 West" by County Surveyor Irving B. Williams, 1915.
Foreclosure Files, 1895-1937
Series 164 (18 Boxes)
Case files containing documents created and received in relation to the forced sale of a property pledged as security for a debt that is in default.
Files may include: Deeds of Trust; Certificates of Sale; Notices of Election and Demand; correspondence; notices of sale; newspaper clipping and publisher affidavit and receipt; registered mail receipts; and undelivered notifications. Files may also include: abstracts of title; interest coupons; tax payment receipts; court papers; notes; and Certificates of Redemption. Arranged alphabetically by borrower name.
Select Finding Aid link for complete inventory.
Foreclosure Registers, 1895 to 1978
Series 151 (11 Volumes)
Public Trustee's Register of Foreclosures includes:
- Grantor name
- Date of deed
- Date "Demand for Sale" filed with Trustee
- Where "Notice of Sale" was published
- Date property sold
- Name of purchaser
- Dollar amount property sold for
- Description of property
- "Public Trustee's Certificate of Purchase"
Arranged by foreclosure number with index.
Grantor-Grantee Index Books, 1862-1900
Series 185 (12 Volumes & 1 Envelope)
This set of books lists all recorded transfers of title by deed or other document affecting title. They are lists of real property transfers maintained in alphabetical order by the last name of the party transferring the property.
The Grantor Index is an alphabetical list by seller (grantor) while the Grantee Index is an alphabetical list by purchaser (grantee). Transfers are not listed in strict alphabetical order, but are placed chronologically in a letter index corresponding to the first letter of the party's last name.
In addition to seller and buyer names, each entry lists the location of the property and the volume and page number where the full text of the deed or other recorded instrument describing the transfer may be found.
Ken-Caryl Ranch History File
Series 190 (1 Envelope)
Historical information gathered on the Ken-Caryl Ranch by descendants of the original owners. Photocopies only of manuscripts, photographs, and newspaper and newsletter articles about the ranch and its former land owners.
- "Ken-Caryl Ranch History" by Jo McCormick
- "Memories of the Ranch" by Virginia Shaffer Devlin
- "John Charles Shaffer, Manor Mogul" by Carolyn Allers.
Contents dated from 1940-1971. Donated to the Archives by former Commissioner Dave Auburn in 2005.
- Land Deeds
- Lindsay Ranch History file
- Mountain Area Planning Council
- Property Appraisal Cards
- Property Ownership Books
- Record of Election and Demand
- Register of Releases
Land Deeds, 1867
Series 123 (1 Envelope)
Warranty Deed from George B. Allen to Mary J. Burgess for Lot 1, Block 35, North side of Clear Creek, and Lot 12, Block 27, South side of Clear Creek in Golden City, dated 22 August 1867. Deed is significant not only due to its age, but also due to the $1 and $2 stamps that were pasted onto it.
Lindsay Ranch Reports and Research, 1988-2003
Series 173 (1 Box)
Reports and research materials related to the historic Lindsay Ranch located on the former Rocky Flats property in Arvada, Colorado. There was an effort in 2000, supported by County Commissioner Pat Holloway, to determine if the property qualified for National or State Historic Register listing, and if so, to ensure preservation of the ranch after the decommissioning of Rocky Flats.
This collection is a compilation of materials gathered by former archivist Duncan McCollum. Select this link for collection description.
Mountain Area Planning Council Records, 1957-1977 (Bulk 1967-1977)
Series 187 (7 Boxes)
Administrative records of the Mountain Area Planning Council. The Council's function was to serve as a coordinating structure for organizations and individuals in promoting the orderly planning and development of the mountain area of Jefferson County, consistent with the protection and enhancement of the quality of the environment, for the benefit of the people.
In 1968, the Council learned that the Evergreen area was being considered as a venue for the Nordic events of the 1976 Winter Olympics. This became a major concern of the Council. Other projects included a possible Planning District for the mountain area, future highway planning, the deterioration of Evergreen Lake, and the annual Clean Up campaign. In addition, the Council sponsored public meetings concerning future growth patterns for the general Evergreen area and a proposal for Hwy 74.
In the 1970s, the Council was involved with a variety of agencies and organizations on such matters as zoning, subdivision regulations, platting requirements, proposed highway locations, pollution standards, telephone rate increases, open space, and public transportation. The Council was also involved with the Genesee and Bergen Park development proposals, the Johns-Manville Ken-Caryl Ranch development proposal, and cooperation with the C.U. Graduate Planning Team in their efforts to offer assistance and input into a more comprehensive plan for the mountains of Jefferson County.
Select Finding Aid (PDF) for complete inventory.
Property Appraisal Cards, 1949-2005
Series 107 (238 Boxes)
Property tax appraisal cards for residential and commercial property. Card may include a description of property and improvements, photograph, footprint drawing with measurements and record of assessed value. Photographs can also include cabins, barns, and houses and commercial buildings that have since been demolished, moved, or burned down.
Arranged numerically by six-digit schedule number. The schedule number for a particular parcel can be obtained online using the Assessor Property Records Search.
Property Ownership Books, 1905-1954
Series 106 (13 Volumes)
Books showing ownership of subdivided land (Block Books) and unsubdivided land (Land Books) in specific years.
Block Books (1909-1919)
Indicate assessed value of land, assessed value of improvements and schedule number of the owner. The schedule number begins with the first letter of the owner's last name and can be looked up in the Property Assessment Rolls and Tax Lists for the same year to determine name of owner.
Block Books (1934-1954)
Indicate name of owner as well as schedule number and assessed value of land and improvements to land.
Land Books (1905-1909)
Land Books include maps of each township or section showing the boundaries of unsubdivided parcels of land. Land Books (1905-1908) indicate name of owner. The 1909 book indicates schedule number of the owner and assessed value of land and improvements to land.
Record of Election and Demand, 1895-2007
Series 153 (261 Volumes)
Public Trustee's Record of Election and Demand books are arranged by foreclosure number and are indexed.
- Notice of Election and Demand for Sale by Public Trustee
- Newspaper clipping of sale notice
- Proof of publication
- Public Trustee Certificate of Purchase
- Name of defaulter (grantor)
- Trust deed or date of trust deed
- Recording information
- Description of property
- Name of present holder of note
- Amount of outstanding debt
Register of Releases, 1919 to 1966
Series 152 (17 Volumes)
Public Trustee's Register of Releases are arranged chronologically and list:
- Transaction (release)
- Name of grantee
- Name of note holder making the request
- Description of property conveyed
- Recording book and page numbers
- Dollar amount involved
- Fees collected
Unprocessed Land & Property Records, 1860-1990
Unprocessed archival collections have not been nicely re-foldered, re-boxed, or labeled, may not be arranged in any discernible order, and do not have finding aids written for them. They are, however, available to researchers unless in rare instances access restrictions have been placed upon them or redaction of sensitive information is required.
Please contact Archivist for details regarding specific record series.
Information on this page may change frequently. Titles of actual records may differ slightly and date ranges may be approximate. Advance notice is required to view records.
- Abstracts of Lands Entered under Homestead, Preemption, and Timber Culture Entries; Cash Entries; Entries of Mineral Lands; Register of Final Certificates Issued; List of patents issued by the State, 1863-1903
- Abstracts of Title / Certificate of Title to County Land, Property, and Open Space Property, 1931-1967
- Affidavits of Labor and Improvements/Notice in Lieu of Annual Labor/Affidavit of Annual Work (Mining Claims), 1887-1948
- Appraisal of School Lands (Requests, Oaths, Reports), 1877-1887
- Assessor's Lot Record (by Subdivision and Block, Lists Lot w/name of “To Whom Assessed,” Value of Lot, and Value of Improvements), 1866-1896
- Certificates of Redemption, 1873-1933
- Certificate of Ownership, Cemetery Plot in Mount Olivet, John N. Lloyd, 1900
- Change in County Lines of Jefferson and Park Counties (State of CO Proclamation), 1909
- Change of Name, Sunny Vale Park to Buffalo Creek Park, 1888
- Chattel Mortgages and Release of Chattel Mortgage, 1863-1928
- Citizen Water Company, Petition for ROW, 1889
- City of Golden Vacations (Ordinances passed regarding street, alley, and easement vacations), 1889-1988
- Colorado Central Railroad ROW Deed – Daniels Park (by Jeffco Engineering), undated
- Commissioners Deeds, 1950-1959
- Correspondence (Central City Land Office), 1876
- Declarations (Occupation, Possession and Enjoyment, Location of Land, School Lands), 1862-1889
- Deeds (Warranty, Quit-Claim, Deeds of Trust, Release Deed of Trust, etc.), 1860-1946
- Deeds to Coors Brewing Co. Properties (Reference copies as of 12/31/90) w/maps, 1866-1990
- Deeds to County Property, circa 1884-1990
- Easements for County Property, 1925 & 1958
- Homestead Claims, 1929 & 1937
- Index to Mining Lodes, Book A, 1867-1905
- Index to Sales of Land in Platted Subdivisions, Volume 99, 1888-1909
- Indexes to Tax Sale Records, Lands (by section, township, and range, lists description, year sold, certificate #), 1870-1986
- Indexes to Tax Sale Records, Lots (town property, lists subdivision, lot #, block number, year sold, certificate number), 1870-1987
- Land Agreements, 1866 & 1902
- Land Books (Section Plats) Ranges 69-72 West (Various sections and townships), 1947
- Land Claims, 1860-1862
- Land Entries (Lists of State Land Patents) and Correspondence, 1870s-1890s
- Land Registration Books:
- Book 1: Name Index (Townships 5 & 6, Range 69), 1930-1950
- Book 1: Reception Book (Townships 5 & 6, Range 68 and 69), 1912-1962
- Book 1: Tract Index of Sections (Township 5, Range 69), 1912-1962
- Land Registration, First Certificates of Title, #s 1-48, 1912-1957
- Leases, 1863-1939
- List of Building Permits Issued/Denied (Monthly Report of Building Inspector), 1943-1979
- List of Land with Property Description and Tax by School District, undated
- List of Lots owned by RW Clark & Co., Golden City, undated
- List of Real Estate Rendered for Taxation: Lands, 1892-1894
- Location Certificates (Mining), 1867-1936
- Mechanics Liens, 1871-1911
- Mineral Claim, 1921
- Mining Claims, Deeds, Leases, 1860-1903
- Monthly Reports of Building Permits Issued or Denied (Unincorporated and Evergreen), 1943-1979
- Mortgage, Mortgage Deeds, Release of Mortgage, 1863-1925
- Mt. Morrison Asphalt, Oil & Gas: Record of Wells Drilled, 1916
- Oberon Development from the Capitol City Realty Co. (Plat), circa 1950s
- Old Mill Site (Drawing), undated
- Parcel at Harlan and 38th (Survey), 1952
- Patents, Military Bounty Land, Homestead certificates (Includes Golden Townsite, Alice Rooney), 1866-1899
- Petition and Permit for Ditch Right of Way (John S. Stephens), 1889
- Planning Commission Minutes, 1940-1945
- Plat Waiver Cases, City of Lakewood Planning Commission, 1978-1983
- Pre-Emptions, 1864-1874
- Public Trustee's Certificates of Purchase, Sales, Redemption, 1896-1931
- Railroad Papers (Right-of-Way, Franchise, Resolutions, Bonds, Petitions, etc.), 1888-1908
- Receiving Book U, 1865-1871
- Reception Books 1 to 10, 1862-1923
- Record of Certificates of Attachment and Levy, 1863-1878
- Redemptions, 1893-1910
- Right of Way Documents (Ditches, Railways, Wagon Companies), 1867-1938
- Shares to Lots in Golden (Golden City Association), 1864
- Sheriff’s Sale Documents (Certificates of Levy, Purchase, Redemption, and Sale; Writ of Attachment, etc.), 1862-1948
- Subdivision Regulations, 1946
- Tax Sale Certificates, 1879-1936
- Tax Sale Record (Clerk's), 1870-1971
- Tax Sale Record (Treasurer's), 1870-1973
- Title Bonds (for Real Estate), 1868-1903
- Township Maps showing status of Public Domain Land and Mineral Titles current to 1982
- Transfers of Title Documents, 1920-1926
- Treasurer’s Certificate of Purchase for North & South Golden Sewer Taxes, 1915
- Treasurer’s Deeds, 1880-1908
- Tri-County Regional Planning Commission Directors' Monthly Reports, 1945-1949
- Unidentified Ledger: Listings by Block and Lot w/Owner, Address, Sewer/Sidewalk Assessments, undated
- Union Pacific Railroad Co. Land Department Agreement, 1904
- Vacation Deeds (Recorded), 1895-1942
- Zoning Maps, 1946-1975
- Zoning Ordinance, 1939 Draft and 1941 Original Printed Booklet