Permits & Reservations
Any activity in a Jeffco Open Space park that conflicts with the Park Regulations requires a permit. Such activities include hosting an event, organized activity, or commercial activity. See below to determine the category into which the activity will fall. View the Jeffco Open Space System Map to ensure accurate park location for the activity.
A Park Permit may be obtained from Jeffco Open Space to authorize companies or individuals to conduct business within Jeffco Open Space managed lands. A Park Permit provides a group with a non-exclusive license to offer services to park visitors.
An organization is considered a business if it provides goods, services, or activities to the public using Jeffco Open Space managed lands. If an individual receives any form of compensation for what they are providing they are considered to be conducting a business or commercial activity.
Permitted activities must be appropriate to the mission of Jeffco Open Space; complement resource protection, visitor protection and interpretation goals; and not pose any potential for derogation of values or purposes for which Jeffco Open Space was established.
Currently, the following commercial activities may be permitted by Jeffco Open Space:
- Guided Rock/Ice Climbing
- Guided River trips including; Rafting, Kayaking, SUP, etc.
- Guided Mountain Biking
- Commercial Tours
- Guided Hiking
- Product Demos
- Commercial Dog Walking Services
- Commercial Filming and Photography
All school groups regardless of group size or activity must have a valid Park Permit, including all athletic teams, clubs, field trips, or other organized activities.
Research and Collections
A Park Permit is required to conduct research activities or to collect any biological resource elements from Jeffco Open Space managed land.
Criteria for a Research and Collections Permit:
- Collection of plants, wildlife, invertebrates, soil, water, or other biological resource elements
- Entering a closed area
- Conducting research, in the form of ecological studies, visitor surveys, or similar activities
- Research that conflicts with any Park Regulation
Criteria for a General Use Permit:
- Any activity or gathering which provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large
- Groups of 15 or more
- Groups conducting the same event more than once in a 3-month period if the activity has the potential to impact resources or other visitors’ experience as determined by Jeffco Open Space
- Groups requesting the use of a site not designed for concentrated group use
- Any activity which may conflict with Park Regulations or the mission of Jeffco Open Space
Shelter Reservations are available at Pine Valley Ranch Park and Hiwan Heritage Park. Reserving a shelter guarantees exclusive use for an event.
Rentals are offered five-hour blocks between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m., April through September, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. October through March.
Fees are payable in full at the time of rental confirmation. All fees are non-refundable. Damage deposits are refundable in whole or part contingent upon the condition of the shelter after the event. Loading and unloading of vehicles must be done from designated areas. Driving beyond the parking areas is strictly prohibited.