Lookout Mountain Preserve and Nature Center
- DO NOT visit parks and public areas if sick; stay home, seek medical care
- FACE COVERING required when 6' distance can't be maintained when using the restroom, at the trailhead, and/or when passing others on the trail
- Practice social distancing of at least 6’ in parks, trailheads, trails, and climbing crags
- DO NOT gather in groups larger than 10
- Keep dogs on leash at ALL times
- Bring your own hand sanitizer and/or hand washing supplies; many of our parks and restrooms lack running water. Sanitize/wash hands after touching public surfaces such as railings, benches, and handles.
- High-risk visitors, use discretion for park visits and public restroom use
NOTICE: Due to COVID-19 health concerns, Lookout Mountain Nature Center and Hiwan Heritage Park & Museum facilities will be closed until further notice. All scheduled education classes, programs, and public meetings are also canceled for the safety of our employees, volunteers, and community.
Lookout Mountain Nature Center staff and volunteer naturalists inspire kids and adults to connect with the natural world. Interactive exhibits take visitors on a tour of the flora and fauna of the foothills ecosystem. Kids enjoy a hands-on play room and observation room. The Nature Center offers free naturalist-led programs in every season for individuals, families, and schools and groups. Visitors can also enjoy a walk through the nature preserve while visiting.
Beaver Brook Trail provides hiker only connections to Windy Saddle Park and Denver Mountain Parks’ Genesee Park.
Jeffco Open Space Educators offer programs throughout the year covering the county’s wildlife, plants, history and more!
Lookout Mountain Nature Center
910 Colorow Road
Golden, CO 80401
(Memorial Day –Labor Day)
Tuesday–Friday: 12:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Tuesday – Friday:
12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday:
11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Lookout Mountain Preserve
Open daily, one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Hiker only.
- CLOSED: Grant Terry Trail closed 9/28-10/2 for construction
- REOPEN: South Trailhead at South Valley Park
- CLOSED: CO-74 b/t Morrison & Idledale closed for rockfall mitigation weekdays 9/2/2020 - 2/28/2021
- NOTICE: Elk Meadow Park - Fire mitigation work along a segment of Stagecoach Blvd from 7/28-11/30
- CLOSED: Campgrounds Closed. New camping reservations suspended until further notice
- CLOSED: Due to COVID-19 health concerns, Lookout Mtn Nature Center and Hiwan Museum closed
- CLOSED: Weekday closures at Flying J Ranch Park
- CLOSED: Parking lots at the mouth of Clear Creek Canyon Park and Tunnel 1 closed for construction