Disabled Parking Privilege

In an effort to discourage illegal parking and seek voluntary compliance, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is issuing warnings to violators who fail to display appropriate disability placards.

Infractions & Fees

On March 11, 2014, the Jefferson County Board of County Commissioner’s adopted a revision increasing the fines associated with parking privileges for persons with disabilities (42-4-1208). The traffic infraction for unauthorized parking in a designated disabled parking spot will now result in a fine of $350 for the first offense, and $600 for subsequent offenses. The ordinance took effect on April 11, 2014.

About Disability Parking

The State of Colorado issues license plates and placards to qualified persons with disabilities to park in reserved parking spaces. Disability parking is provided to assure that individuals requiring additional space to enter or exit their vehicles have the needed space and accommodates closer parking to a main entrance. The disability parking privilege allows a qualified individual to park in any space marked with the International Symbol of Access (blue spaces).

The State of Colorado offers identifying license plates and placards for persons with disabilities to park in reserved parking spaces. A person with a disability may apply for:

  • An identifying placard to be prominently displayed on a motor vehicle used to transport such person with a disability.
  • A distinguishing license plate to be displayed on a motor vehicle owned by such person.
  • If the person with a disability is also a Disabled Veteran as determined by 42-3-213(5), C.R.S., that person may elect to display the Handicap Disabled Veteran license plates.

Identifying license plates or placards can be issued to a person by submitting a completed DR 2219 Persons with Disabilities Parking Privileges Application to the County Motor Vehicle Office. The application must be signed by the applicant or a representative.

Replacement Placards

If the placard has been lost, stolen, mutilated, or otherwise damaged and the replacement placard is being requested prior to the expiration date, the damaged or mutilated placards should be surrendered to the Authorized Agent for replacement. You must provide a copy of the DR 2574 registration receipt for the placard being replaced as proof for replacement validation.

For information on placards and identifying license plates contact the Division of Motor Vehicles.