- DO NOT visit parks and public areas if sick; stay home, seek medical care
- DO NOT gather in groups larger than 10
- Practice social distancing of at least 6’ in parks, trailheads, trails, and climbing crags
- Keep dogs on leash at ALL times
- Bring your own hand sanitizer and/or hand washing supplies; many of our parks and restrooms lack running water. Sanitize/wash hands after touching public surfaces such as railings, benches, and handles.
- FACE COVERING strongly recommended; use when near others or when passing on the trail
- High-risk visitors, use discretion for park visits and public restroom use
Apex Park provides a popular, accessible foothills experience minutes from downtown Golden. A stream runs alongside a trail in part of the park, and a dense forest provides shady areas on the west end. This park is popular for mountain biking as it offers more technical trails and a steep challenge up Lookout Mountain.
Apex, Argos and Enchanted Forest Trails are directional-use trails. Bicyclists are required to ride in one direction only (uphill/west) on odd-numbered calendar days.
121 County Highway 93
Golden, CO 80401
Managing Trails for Safety at Apex Park
Following more than two years of public and visitor engagement, intense in-park education efforts, and field observations, Jeffco Open Space (JCOS) has developed a plan to improve trail safety and reduce visitor conflict at Apex Park. This final plan was shaped by many visitor and staff perspectives and demonstrates a true spirit of compromise. The new management plan will take effect in September 2020 and be a 1-year trial basis.
Draft Plan Fact Sheet (PDF)
Presentation from Community Meeting (PPT Download)
Results from Community Meeting Audience Survey (PDF)
Public Comment Period Results (PDF)
Apex Park Management Announcement June 2020 (PDF)
Apex Park Management Map - Final (PDF)
The comment period has closed as of March 25.
- CLOSED: Alderfer/Three Sisters & Elk Meadow Parks closed until further notice due to active wildfire
- NOTICE: Parts of North Table Loop at North Table Mountain Park closed intermittently from 7/13-8/31
- CLOSED: South Trailhead at South Valley Park Closed 7/13 - Late Sept for Trailhead Improvements
- REOPEN: Deer Creek Canyon Park has reopened
- NOTICE: New camping reservations suspended until further notice
- NOTICE: Rangers and S.O. implementing temporary restrictions at parks that are at capacity
- CLOSED: Due to COVID-19 health concerns, Lookout Mtn Nature Center and Hiwan Museum closed
- CLOSED: Weekday closures at Flying J Ranch Park
- CLOSED: Parking lots at the mouth of Clear Creek Canyon Park and Tunnel 1 closed for construction