Application & Ceremony

Apply in Person

Both persons should be present to apply. If this is not possible, one party must appear with a completed and notarized absentee affidavit as well as approved original identification for the absent party. Applicants for a civil union license need not be Colorado residents.

Access the Absentee Affidavit (PDF)


Civil unions may be certified by judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy (ordained/recognized to lawfully perform marriages, out-of-state clergy need not be registered in Colorado), or by the parties to the civil union. Civil union certificates must include the County and location where the civil union took place, the date of the civil union, the officiating party's signature and title, and both parties' signatures (witnesses are not required). Completed civil union certificate must be forwarded to the County Clerk and Recorder's office within 63 days after the ceremony. Failure to do so may result in late fees.


  • Brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether by half or whole blood.
  • One of the parties is still married to or in a civil union with another person.
  • One of the parties is under 18 years of age.

Civil Union Application Copy Request Form

Per CRS, copies of civil union applications are to be made available to the parties themselves or an immediate family member. To obtain a certified copy of a civil union application, please complete the form and have notarized. Fee is $2.25 per copy.

Access the Civil Union Application Copy Request Form (PDF)

Jefferson County Wedding & Reception Sites