Application & Ceremony
Apply in Person
Both persons should be present to apply. If this is not possible, one party must appear with a completed and notarized absentee affidavit as well as approved original identification for the absent party. Applicants for a marriage license need not be Colorado residents.
Access the Absentee Affidavit (PDF)
Per C.R.S. 14-2-109, Marriages may ONLY be solemnized by:
- Judges, Retired Judges, Magistrates, Public Officials authorized to perform marriages (Civil).
- Clergy - They must be ordained/recognized to lawfully perform marriages (Religious)
- Indian Tribe Official (Religious)
- The Couple Themselves (Self)
Only those listed above are authorized to sign the marriage certificate as the officiant. A friend or relative may not solemnize the marriage unless they are authorized to perform marriages. Please note, "officiant" is not a title. If there is no identifiable title (Pastor, Minister, Judge, Magistrate, etc.) it will be considered a self-solemnization.
The marriage certificate must also include the County, date and location where the marriage took place AND both party's signatures as they appear on the license (witnesses are not required). The completed marriage certificate must be forwarded to the Jefferson County clerk's office within 63 days after the marriage; failure to comply may result in late fees.
- Brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether by half or whole blood.
- One of the parties is still married to another person.
Marriage Application Copy Request Form
Pursuant to CRS 24 72, 204(3)(a)(XIX)(A), copies of marriage applications are to be made available only to the bride or groom or an immediate family member. To obtain a certified copy of a marriage application, please complete the form and have notarized. Fee is $2.25 per copy.
Access the Marriage Application Copy Request (PDF)
Marriage License Copy Request
Copies of marriage licenses are $0.25, or $1.25 for a certified copy. A postage paid, self-addressed envelope is required with the order.
Access the Marriage License Copy Request (PDF)
Jefferson County Wedding & Reception Sites
- Boettcher Mansion
- See the First Judicial Courts site for information on getting married at the county courthouse - select the "Weddings" link or call 720-772-2560