Please make an appointment to obtain your license in person. The appointment calendar is available 21 days in advance, refreshing daily. Ahead of your appointment, complete the online application form.
- Both people should be present to apply. If this is not possible, one party must appear with a completed and notarized absentee affidavit, as well as original identification for the absent party.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only the two applicants are permitted in the office at this time.
- Marriage licenses can be purchased for $30 and may be used immediately within the state of Colorado. The license is valid for 35 days from the issue date.
Marriage license requirements
Per C.R.S. 14-2-109, Marriages may ONLY be solemnized by:
- Judges, retired judges, magistrates, public officials authorized to perform marriages (civil).
- Clergy—they must be ordained/recognized to lawfully perform marriages (religious)
- American Indian Tribe official (religious)
- The couple themselves (self)
Only those listed above are authorized to sign the marriage certificate as the officiant. A friend or relative may not solemnize the marriage unless they are authorized to perform marriages. Please note, "officiant" is not a title. If there is no identifiable title (pastor, minister, judge, magistrate, etc.) it will be considered a self-solemnization.
The marriage certificate must also include the county, date, and location where the marriage took place AND both party's signatures as they appear on the license (witnesses are not required). The completed marriage certificate must be forwarded to the Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder's office within 63 days after the marriage; failure to comply may result in late fees.
Marriage application copy request
Pursuant to CRS 24 72, 204(3)(a)(XIX)(A), copies of marriage applications are only available to the bride or groom or an immediate family member. To obtain a certified copy of a marriage application, please complete the form and have it notarized. Fee is $2.25 per copy.
Marriage license copy request
Copies of marriage licenses are $0.25, or $1.25 for a certified copy. A postage paid, self-addressed envelope is required with the order. Access the Marriage License Copy Request (PDF).